Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

10 years of Warframe and they still can't make a pure black energy color.

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

Just copied the darkest black in the Smoke pallette to paint and it reads as 0,0,0 so...

I think the issue isn't really whether or not we have a true black (the darkest black in smoke palette does appear to be a 0,0,0 black...) but whether or not the frame materials have light-masking that does not allow pure black to show correctly. 

You can see pure black on a few things (some attachments) but generally speaking the materials obscure the colors. Rarely do the color palette colors actually match 1:1 when applied to frame/attachment/energy materials.

• Like 7

It's deliberate and seems to depend on the texture/shader. Whether it's actually opaque, in which case the black will appear just fine, or if transparency is based on the colour brightness, in which case "black" would be 0 opacity. I know my Alternox and Operator have some interesting energy colour mixings with the black that I used being perfectly visible.

Edited by Pakaku

All these peeps saying that black (or near-black) energy isn't possible, but meanwhile I'm looking at the backside of my Wellspring and just like "Man, I sure wish I could have my Operator energy colors on the outside of this thing instead of this black/near-black ugliness."

DE doesn't want to risk the wraith of Anish Kapoor! 

Actually thats a bit of a dated reference, since I believe they have actually created a few more types of blackest black since vantablack, including Black 3.0, which was given tagline of "black hole in a bottle", unfortunately, for those who like things a bit too literal, upon opening the bottle, there was no event horizon or massive cosmological event, or even mild death.

Maybe once they make everything in the game Voidshell. Since you can get some pretty dark blacks when you can change around textures. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

I wanted to make a Smokey, cinder energy color for Ember.

black-ish with an orange hue.

but every dark and black energy color in this game is treated as transparent, or invisible.

and you only see the other color.

come on DE, all this power in animation and you can't make paint it black?

My Ember has white & black flames, works perfectly fine

You can discern both colors without problem

Another one I use for my style of flame effect is from the HALLOWEEN Palette first colour is the X: 5, Y: 9 in the picker #FFA000 second colour is X: 1, Y: 3 #F70000 https://www.warframecolorpicker.app/

Edit: Added picture.

This is how it looks on my weapon, only the glowy part of my helmet sort of shows it.

Warframe_Screenshot_2023.10.07_-_00.19.0

I did an Ember one to show the helmet flames with those colours.

Warframe_Screenshot_2023.10.07_-_00.29.0

Edited by Slayer-.

I welcome correction if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the "issue" is simply that black isn't a legitimate color for light.  Black is the absence of light.  I've seen all manner of colored light in my lifetime, but never one that was black, and I presume that this is the reason.

Video games are fake so a pre-made visual effect can be made to "simulate" what black light might look like, but such an effect wouldn't be playing by the same rules the rest of the normal lighting system played by.  So when players are given access to a single lighting system, it makes sense that we would get access to the full breadth of what actual light can do because that scales well to 300+ frames and weapons, whereas a "simulation" of black "light" would presumably need numerous custom effects so that it could achieve all of the various behaviors that normal light is capable of.

I wonder if it would be possible to add an "Energy Transparency" slider to the arsenal. Turn it up if you want opaque effects of any energy colour, turn it down if you want your ability effects to be translucent/invisible.

The game can render pitch blackness with the right material (the Repala syandana with the darkest shade in the Smoke palette springs to mind), so I doubt there's a hard technical limitation that would prevent opaque black energy.

Edited by Corvid

Imagine if you could set energy colors on each ability individually. Some frames would be much better with that. Just a few offhand examples:

• Nova would love it for Null Star
  • Mag would love it for the held version of Magnetize
  • Nyx would love it for Absorb (especially Assimilate)