Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pronunciation of Cernos?

Dienden

DECernos.png

So I know the general agreement in the game is that the bow Cernos is pronounced (sernos).

The Wiki claims the name derived from the Gaulish word for "horn," but from what I can find, both Gaulish and Celtic (Cernunnos, the horned god) pronunciations would say it (kernos). Even Latin seems like it would have used a hard C (cuernos in Spanish).

I have found medical terms, testosterone medicine and a lighting company that use the name Cernos (sernos) which would be a modern English pronunciation?

From another angle, it could come from an Italian verb cernere, which I think would be (chernos/jernos) but (kernos) in the original Latin.

Obviously the community will probably still say sernos, but does anyone know what DE calls it?

What do people think? Ideas? thoughts?

Edited by Dienden

Yeah I think we gotta factor in accents and stuff. I say "very good" but some of my latino friends say "bery good." while also rolling the R. And other stuff like how a persons name can be Desire, unless they pronnounce it "Dezzy ray."

I don't think I've ever heard DE call it a Kernos during a devstream or anything yet.

Edited by (PS4)Ragology

18 minutes ago, Dienden said:

Obviously the community will probably still say sernos, but does anyone know what DE calls it?

On Devstreams, "sernos".

The info on the wiki is compiled by the community. It is interesting but means nothing more.

That said, call it whatever you want. Death to prescriptivism.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Ragology said:

Desire

I suspect the correct spelling is Desirée 😉

• Like 2

I've always pronounced it "Kernos", but there still are some English words that surprise me when it comes to saying them out loud. But apparently native English speakers are kind of in the same boat sometimes... (I don't watch streams often, but when I do, the girls seem to be confused about how to say "ducats".)

So I guess it's kinda up to you. I don't think I'll stop saying "Kernos", although the German variation sounds cool ☺️