Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maybe DE should just delete region chat

JackHargreav

I mean looking at all the people who get banned it's pretty clear that either the players and DE doesn't know what to do with it. 

Obviously no one knows what's "offensive" and even then the automated system obviously can't detect if something is just an innocent conversation or not.

I haven't used the thing for a while and I even closed down the tab because ultimately it seems useless. 

We have players helping players already if someone has a question so even that's a non factor.

personally I avoid Region Chat like you would avoid a Nuclear Blast zone full of COVID patients and Spiders, but there are some crazies that actually - and I can't believe I'm typing this - LIKE using region chat to talk to random people. I'd be fine with it being gone, but then I never used it anyway, except occasionally to mine salt, like When Primed Chamber came back.

8 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

I haven't used the thing for a while and I even closed down the tab because ultimately it seems useless. 

I did the same.

8 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Obviously no one knows what's "offensive" and even then the automated system obviously can't detect if something is just an innocent conversation or not.

Given the Mature rating given to the game, people should be old/tough enough to handle free speech. So, I'd say just remove the chat restrictions, those who want to use the chat can do so freely and the rest like us can just have it disabled.

12 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Maybe DE should just delete region chat

Doesn't work, they'd just move into help chat and start their crap. What we need is human eyes and brains, attached to heavy banhammers, and a system for informing them, in no uncertain terms of what the punishment was for and the duration.

From the old IRC systems on undernet, there was a "voice" option for any given channel. Putting a negative tag meant that the person couldn't communicate out into the channel but could see what was going on. Doing something like that might be educational, punishing the idiots, but allowing those would can learn, to see what acceptable behaviour looks like.

But then again, I know and accept that I prefer a fair, yet draconian level of moderation, that others might not be willing to accept.

Region turned off ages ago.

Funny as a chat moderator (2.5 years) for clan and alliance usually a "please change the subject works" followed by "you have been warned" if they continued. only about 3 times has that been ignored resulting in either a chat time out and once a removal from clan.

Kickbot seems to work well in Q&A but as already stated the blessed trolls have tryed there dirty tricks on new players. I'm not sure about human chat mods because that has already had issues which wasn't handled.

26 minutes ago, PhiThagRaid said:

I did the same.

Given the Mature rating given to the game, people should be old/tough enough to handle free speech. So, I'd say just remove the chat restrictions, those who want to use the chat can do so freely and the rest like us can just have it disabled.

A: ESRB ratings never look at online interactions.  If they did, just about every game would require an AO rating.

2: Full removal of chat restrictions would mean that the only people capable of using it would be the ones using it to vomit garbage all over it endlessly.

III: "Free speech" has literally nothing to do with DE's moderation, one because DE is a Canadian company, and two because "free speech" is only that the GOVERNMENT can't regulate what you say.

19 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Is it really that hard to stay unbanned? I only go to region for game related issues, I don't use it to socialize just for fun. I guess it would be harder to avoid violations if you go there just to chat with friends. 

Isn't clan chat unrestricted though? 

At the moment yes clan and alliance is unrestricted by DE. However with the next gen consoles already were receiving changes to voice chat for moderation purposes,  this maybe taken out of clan leaders and alliance leaders hands. I hope not its a family space if a public family space.

Your first point depends on someones language skills and personality not to take offense or get caught by the trap setting attention seekers, also having a good grasp of band words to start with, so yes for some its hard not to get band, And multiple bans add up to you getting a 2035. Turning off region is the safest option 

40 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Is it really that hard to stay unbanned? I only go to region for game related issues, I don't use it to socialize just for fun. I guess it would be harder to avoid violations if you go there just to chat with friends. 

Isn't clan chat unrestricted though? 

Well I dunno. From the reputation points you have, i assume you've been here for a while. So probably you can see the many complaints on the forums. 

I haven't been around much but I see complaints all the time so the answer is probably yes. 

1 hour ago, Rawbeard said:

why do you want to take away something you do not have to use, that you can literally disable to even appear for you?

Didn't I just explain? Because it's useless and it seems to cause more harm than good. 

Almost every month/week there's someone who comes here and has to ask why they got banned.

I would agree that sending in a support ticket or whatever would be better but you would have to know about the existence of that feature and even if you send in a ticket they won't respond for a really time probably so either way you get nowhere.

If someone doesnt like region they always have an option to disable it , out of sight out of mind . And there are people like me who enjoy random fun , it might not be to your own liking but people have their own taste and preferances .

If someone doesnt like pineaple on pizza you gonna ban that and people who like it to ?

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

Didn't I just explain? Because it's useless and it seems to cause more harm than good. 

no, you really didn't explain. how can something you have no need to interact with harm you? why do you want to take away from others what does not affect you?

Archived