Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soulframe Trademarked by Digital Extremes in Europe

Xaero

4 hours ago, Defion said:

I bet it will turn into another mini game of sorts, like that flappy bird rip-off and that 2D side scrolling fight game thats all messed up and somehow barely working from the get-go.

I hope it will turn out to be more but I highly doubt it, I suppose we shall get a  "GET HYPED FOR SOULFRAME!!" "shows cool neat verry edited intro".

At tennocon and mostly everyone watching it would go hype hype hype, only to turn out to be another crappy mini game to play in your orbitor.

Except none of the previous minigames have been trademarked. DE only have 9 trademarked terms (4 of which are duplicates), all of which correspond to full games that were either released (Pariah, Dark Sector, Warframe and Survived By), or had a title finalised while in development (The Amazing Eternals). They also notably do not have a trademark for Warframe's Chinese title.

Whatever Soulframe is, it's likely to be its own thing.

In my opinion and by the name it could be the name of the mobile version of the game, a card game or they finally stole my idea to make a dating game. I can imagine a lot of things into it but we will know a little bit more on the tennocon or whoever visiting them. For me it is too expensive, difficult and my english skills are not the best but I will stayin tuned.

My only problem is they must focus to finish this game or at least make it up to date and focus on fixing the old content first before they make a new game which could meet the same fate like Star Trek the game or the Amazing Eternals which tried to cope with Overwatch or Paladins. Also knowing their past if they make partnership with Zen studios (Hungarian game developer studio) then they could make a pinball game which is somewhat popular to this day.

It is always good to have multiple sources of money making but they could only do move if they have funds and have partnership with smaller teams to ask them to make a game for them and they can supervise that. 

Maybe DE finally realised they have dug themselves till bedrock with regards to all the story and mechanics and are planning for finally terminating the game and starting a new one as a spiritual successor.

Or they are pre emptive in stopping some random studio make some cheap copy.

Or its to safeguard against some terminology changes 

There are many possibilities.

20 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Except none of the previous minigames have been trademarked. DE only have 9 trademarked terms (4 of which are duplicates), all of which correspond to full games that were either released (Pariah, Dark Sector, Warframe and Survived By), or had a title finalised while in development (The Amazing Eternals). They also notably do not have a trademark for "Star Armor", Warframe's Chinese title.

Whatever Soulframe is, it's likely to be its own thing.

yeah thats true. but I suppose we can all hope and pray it wont be another S#&$ty failure like they did and failed with "The Amazing Eternals" that game was S#&$ty and totaly unbalanced and way to much going for the formula "battle royal is greatest ever cause thats all the hype now and we must follow the hype and money!!"

Never ever do I wanna see DE doing something like that again.

1 hour ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Maybe DE finally realised they have dug themselves till bedrock with regards to all the story and mechanics and are planning for finally terminating the game and starting a new one as a spiritual successor.

Or they are pre emptive in stopping some random studio make some cheap copy.

Or its to safeguard against some terminology changes 

There are many possibilities.

If that is/was true, on one hand, I'd be somewhat sad that things like Revenant Prime never would see the light of day. On the other hand, I'd be happy that maybe we finally get some interesting gameplay/balance, because the current modding system and the community freakouts during necessary nerfs makes balancing anything in this game nigh impossible.

5 hours ago, bad4youLT said:

China's version of Warframe is called Star Armor because apparently word "war" is bad in China , also blood is disabled .

Wait, what?  No.  Warframe is called 星际战甲 in China, which literally translates to "Interstellar Battle Armor".  In fact, the 战 in the name very literally means war/battle.  Would not be surprised if blood and gore was disabled over there, though.

As for the trademark application itself, it looks like it was just filed (5/17), so we should probably keep an eye out for other countries/regions.  My guess is that it is a new IP of some sort and we will see the filings for other regions crop up in the coming days.  The only other thing we can glean from the application itself is that it's bound to be a Computer Game and Online Game Service, given its 9, 41 Nice Classification listing:

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018704525

What's interesting is that it does not list 16 (Printed matter), 42 (Design and production of computer games), 20 (Action figures), or 28 (Plush toys) that Warframe's trademark also covers.  Maybe they're just testing the waters with a new IP and will add those if it takes off?

Edit: Although, why doesn't Warframe have 25 (Casual Clothing) like The Amazing Eternals and Survived By?  Not sure who would want to, but wouldn't this allow just anyone to create and sell knock-off Warframe-branded hoodies and t-shirts?

1 hour ago, Defion said:

way to much going for the formula "battle royal is greatest ever cause thats all the hype now and we must follow the hype and money!!"

Er... TAE wasn't a battle royale.

6 hours ago, ShogunGunshow said:

Man, if they really wanted to do a spin-off game, they should do a character action game. Imagine Revengeance, but you're playing as Excalibur. 

If that is true, you would be playing as chroma with vex armor that hardens in response to physical trauma against stalker using a sword as a tool of justice (oh wait, that isn't even his sword....)

1 hour ago, sapphicReprobate said:

The EU made the Ninja Turtles change their name

Wrong, actually. That was done by the UK government and a couple of other countries in Europe, not the EU itself. And it apparently wasn't even a permanent rename, given that the proper title was used when I was growing up, and I live in the UK.

There's also the fact that Warframe has been running for almost a decade with the current name, so even if new regulations were implemented, DE likely wouldn't need to change the name due to the grandfather clause.

Furthermore, as I mentioned previously, DE don't hold the trademark for the game's Chinese title, so it is highly unlikely that they would go out of their way to get a trademark purely for a regional rename. Based on their previous patterns, it is highly likely that whatever Soulframe turns out to be, it will be a distinct product from Warframe.

Soulframe could be any number of things:

- an actual game that plays like dark souls but is set in the warframe universe. could certainly be interesting..

- it could refer to a soul music Warframe: frankly, one Octavia is too many lol..

- it could be an entre redo of warframe where instead of void energy, Human souls are the power source that drives them and grants them abilities. 

I guess we'll probably find out more about it at Tennocon.

8 hours ago, Atheeas said:

If DE made a spin-off/sequel to Warframe where the Tenno actually get to the Tau system (perhaps through the Duviri space or via other Void-related means), explore/study it and settle there, I'd definitely try it out.

...I'm probably getting my hopes way too high up.

If DE made any kind of other game, I'd probably try it out just because they did a pretty good job with Warframe.

There was a time where I held Blizzard in that regard... where if Blizzard was making X, pre-order it because it was probably going to be great like a lot of their other games! Back in the day anyway...

https://wccftech.com/soulframe-trademarked-by-digital-extremes-in-europe/amp/ 

Soulframe Trademarked by Digital Extremes in Europe

By Alessio Palumbo  /  May 18, 2022 04:14 EDT

Warframe developer Digital Extremes has registered a new trademark, Soulframe, in Europe. The filing took place yesterday and was immediately spotted by eagle-eyed Reddit user LongJonSiLver.

We don't know anything else about Soulframe at this point, so it could be anything from a spin-off game to a sequel of sorts; after all, Warframe first launched in 2013. On the other hand, it's a live service game and a very successful one that keeps being updated on a regular basis.

Warframe’s “Angels of the Zariman” Expansion Delivers a New Hub, Frame, and More Today

The game recently got a new expansion titled Angels of Zariman, which introduced players to the massive Orokin colony vessel Zariman Ten Zero, the new Chrysalith social hub, three challenging new game modes (Void Flood, Void Cascade, and Void Armageddon), the new Incarnon Evolving Weapons, a bunch of new characters, and the customizable Dormizone apartment.

We'll likely learn about Soulframe during the upcoming TennoCon 2022 event, the seventh annual Warframe conference due to take place on July 16th once again in London, Ontario after the two years of hiatus caused by COVID-19.

Sheldon Carter, COO of Digital Extremes, recently teased jaw-dropping reveals and announcements:

TennoCon is designed to give Warframe players a peek behind our game development curtain, while also taking a moment to celebrate the community of players that make Warframe what it is today. We are in the midst of curating a jaw-dropping lineup of announcements and reveals, coupled with interactive in-game experiences that will really make TennoCon bigger and better than ever before.

Of course, anyone who can't make it in person will be able to check out TennoCon announcements via streaming. On the other hand, attendees can look forward to the return of the beloved Art and Cosplay contests (submissions can be entered here) and to the Clan Dojo Showcase, too.

vor 36 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)YoungGunn82:

We are in the midst of curating a jaw-dropping lineup of announcements and reveals, coupled with interactive in-game experiences that will really make TennoCon bigger and better than ever before.

Wow, i am so hyped already! Finally, after one or two boring years in which DE only wanted to show stuff they can actually deliver and which is close to Release, we are getting back to superlatives and thrilling adjectives like jaw-dropping and bigger and better than ever before. Thats the spirit! Its time to announce a "m*therf*cking battle of endor" again and never deliver it.

Regarding the trademark: Could mean literally anything or even nothing that affects us, so i really dont care at this point^^

Edit: Btw, am i the only one who thinks that the name "Soulframe" sounds really stupid, no matter what its related to?

13 hours ago, Xaero said:

According to news, DE trademarked Soulframe. Wonder what it will be. A new game in Warframe universe probably?

I'm imagining a Hydroid with a deep Southern accent making soul food in a Warframe cooking game

Just an idea.

What if Duviri will be a "standalone" "expansion" that will use the name Soulframe, but still be Warframe and seamlessly usable with the current game content? Just in order to play through the full history that has run parallel to Warframe history. It wouldnt be the first game to do it. GGG is doing it with PoE, turning it all into PoE2 with all of PoE intact and the PoE2 expansion adding a whole new multi-act story. Inquisitor Martyr did it with Inquisitor Prophecy, a standalone expansion/game interlinked with the base game, with its own story and playable class.

It wouldnt surprise me, since it would allow DE to start fresh without impacting core WF, but at the same time give it balanced content in the new setting. 

And since what happened in our timeline didnt happen for those that ended up on Duviri, Soulframes may be their version of Warframes, but work in a whole different way and be created for a completely different purpose.

18 hours ago, MqToasty said:

Wait, what?  No.  Warframe is called 星际战甲 in China, which literally translates to "Interstellar Battle Armor".  In fact, the 战 in the name very literally means war/battle.  Would not be surprised if blood and gore was disabled over there, though.

If something changed then its my fault , last time I heard off it was back in 2015 post

Extreme doubt. 

On 2022-05-18 at 4:14 PM, Kaotyke said:

Yes. It ticks all the boxes:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Its a gigantic humanoid compared to yourself,
  • Has a big damn sword,
  • The first "phase" you fight him on his mount, which is a dragon-horse thing, which is very annoying,
  • Has a mount which you kill in the first "phase" instead of the rider,
  • You can parry the sword strikes, which opens him to attack,
  • It has some BS movement ability (teleport in this case),
  • When you kill him you disassemble his armor and get it for yourself (but instead of a copy of his armor/weapon you use the armor to make a weapon),

That describes alot of bosses in dmc.

9 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

If something changed then its my fault , last time I heard off it was back in 2015 post

Digging through Wikipedia's edit history, it looks like the current name was used in China at least as early as December 2014, so I doubt it was ever changed.  Warframe does go by a slightly different name in Traditional Chinese regions (Hong Kong and Taiwan) -- 戰甲神兵 (literally "Battle Armored Heavenly Soldiers" -- eh, marketing is marketing right? 🤷‍♂️), but again, there's no avoidance of the word for war/battle there either.  Now, "Star Armor" is a reasonable reverse translation for 星际战甲, but if someone suggested that it was named this to avoid "war", then they are mistaken.

In my experience, Simplified Chinese (Mainland China) translations of movies and game titles tend to be more literal, whereas Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong and Taiwan) translations tend to be more creative and take more liberties to drive sales.  As an example, just about every single Arnold Schwarzenegger movie had 魔鬼 (Demon) in the title in Taiwan because he got famous with The Terminator (魔鬼終結者 -- "Demonic Terminator"), and the marketing guys wanted to make sure people knew he was in the movie.

17 hours ago, Corvid said:

Furthermore, as I mentioned previously, DE don't hold the trademark for the game's Chinese title, so it is highly unlikely that they would go out of their way to get a trademark purely for a regional rename. Based on their previous patterns, it is highly likely that whatever Soulframe turns out to be, it will be a distinct product from Warframe.

Not sure where you got that information from, but here is one of the active 星际战甲 trademark registrations in China (application #17249588, for Nice Classification 41, valid from 2017-01-14 to 2027-01-13):

http://wcjs.sbj.cnipa.gov.cn/txnDetail.do?b9La8sqW=SaHVMAlqEk_ECgl0wqnuJe.8okmMFqcRjCcSSIsQgIs154cXKbFvQhiPIdIa2icJM2XqPKY9eJFCBlLs.gblp0wteMhgEqNKiIp5DIujH15wlVlEMQ6r0088Gl2hQsqsM6wcvOlPItitVBhUS8AXXslDhHXSSx6QcjKpLnXGO1L0oNr_MGOm.f7_wrLDrtxxldiqTo4m_zV

The company name and address both check out, so it seems legit to me.  Now there are a few more in subsequent years that were rejected, appealed and now under examination despite this one still being active, so perhaps DE ran into legal trouble there?  As well, there are other categories such as 43 (Restaurants), 17 (Non-metal Construction materials -- WTF?) and 42 (Technology consulting) assigned to other companies, but I guess those were probably just licensing agreements.  Really cannot imagine what Tencent had in mind for the 17 though...

That said, I do agree that Soulframe is probably going to be a distinct IP from Warframe.  I just hope they do not simply make a sword-and-sorcery version of Warframe ala. Warhammer Fantasy / Warhammer 40k.  That would be rather ridiculous...

Archived