Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

22 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

PoE was a spectacular financial success after Tennocon and the Sacrifice Teaser.

Venus was immediately green-lit as it’s successor and Umbra was put on hold or development slowed considerably.

You would be right, except that DE got a massive influx of their team returning, after the other project they were working on fell through. This means that Venus has a lot more people working on it, and Steve himself was the one slowing up The Sacrifice, because he's the one that concepts and works on the script first.

• Like 3

Umbra is already the Wait Within. 

It's probably for the best to just not anticipate it anytime soon. I'm telling myself it'll come after Tennocon just to avoid disappointing myself. Anything that isnt a reskin + prime will be a welcome distraction in the meantime. 

It'll come when it comes, and not a moment later. 

Given how most of our recent "content" has been what seems to be side-project ideas, im assuming they're pooling a massive amount of work into something, it could be that The Sacrifice will be much larger than we expected, or some new game feature that's being saved for tennocon, but i doubt they're being lazy about it

staying on topic, i also doubt The Sacrifice is coming in the next update, much less anytime this month

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

You would be right, except that DE got a massive influx of their team returning, after the other project they were working on fell through. This means that Venus has a lot more people working on it, and Steve himself was the one slowing up The Sacrifice, because he's the one that concepts and works on the script first.

We have no idea what DE is working on. Those people could be working on a new project. I'm sure DE is constantly trying to expand beyond Warframe behind closed doors.

16 hours ago, EpicBred said:

I usually think of umbra as the opposite of prime.

We might get a new location/tile set, imagine how epic a dark void would be, black and gold instead of white and gold.

And when talking about excalibur, his theme is light. Shadow(umbra) just fits really well as a twist to that theme. His radial blind could cast a shadow over an area instead of blinding them with bright light, they might even add a small extra mechanic to that like extra dmg with your exalted blade (which is now ... made out of shadows) while in that area or have it move with you or something. But they dont have to.

I would be happy if would just be that thematic shift just changing the effects and names of his and other "umbras" abilities.

Btw that may be what they meant when they said not every frame would have an umbra, because umbra just refers to excaliburs "opposite form". Although it would probably be difficult to keep track of if every frame had its own extra name.

Interesting idea.

Umbra Slash dash - You dash with a binding shadow blade

Umbra Radial Blind - Instead of blinding them light, you take away the light in their eyes and bind them with the shadows and works kind of like a AoE

Umbra Javelin - Sends blades with dark powers. Pierces them and binds them to a spot, the reach also extends past the enemies it hits

It can also work like this. If anyone is familiar with the game "Spiderman web of shadows", Symbiote Spidey does this little stomp on the ground and the ground releases shadow like tentacles. 

Umbra Exalted blade - Works slight different to normal Exalted blade, the waves binds the enemies in shadows and is a destruction of shadows

The Umbra Radial Blind can also create a darker effect on the map

description of normal Excalibur abilities: 

https://www.warframe.com/game/warframes/excalibur

Edited by CaptainStrawberry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Ahhh, good to know.  Can you validate and elaborate?  

22 minutes ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

Interesting idea.

Umbra Slash dash - You dash with a binding shadow blade

Umbra Radial Blind - Instead of blinding them light, you take away the light in their eyes and bind them with the shadows and works kind of like a AoE

Umbra Javelin - Sends blades with dark powers. Pierces them and binds them to a spot, the reach also extends past the enemies it hits

It can also work like this. If anyone is familiar with the game "Spiderman web of shadows", Symbiote Spidey does this little stomp on the ground and the ground releases shadow like tentacles. 

Umbra Exalted blade - Works slight different to normal Exalted blade, the waves binds the enemies in shadows and is a destruction of shadows

The Umbra Radial Blind can also create a darker effect on the map

description of normal Excalibur abilities: 

https://www.warframe.com/game/warframes/excalibur

Thats literally the same as normal excal just reskinned. Not bad idea if sacrifice quest itself didnt have so much put into it and umbra was seperate reskinned excal but it isnt.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Ahhh, good to know.  Can you validate and elaborate?  

We know that Steve writes the original script for each quest from his Twitter, recently he released this on there:

Spoiler

Dad8ENPU8AI5G2c.jpg:large

Combine that with the DevStream 109 comments about having their first read through of the dialogue, and that there will be no more news about the Quest on DevStreams, it likely means that they're happy with enough of the script now to begin full production.

But we know about the change to their Dev Team and what they were previously working on because they announced the game 'The Amazing Eternals' last year, and have since ceased production. Sad, I know, because I wanted to see what that was going to be like.

https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/2017/08/founders-program-revealed

34 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

We have no idea what DE is working on. Those people could be working on a new project. I'm sure DE is constantly trying to expand beyond Warframe behind closed doors.

On DevStream 108, where the 'Frame Fighter' game mode was previewed, they said that the developers of that were a couple of people from the Amazing Eternals team, having returned to the main studio and started working on Warframe again.

So yeah, there's a few things that must be new and different that DE are working on, as Hypernaut1 says, but they're all to do with Warframe right now.

After Amazing Eternals didn't fly and shut down at Christmas, they'll likely spend a few more months consolidating and concepting before they launch out onto a new game entirely as they tried to do there, so we can expect a few blissful months of full-capacity team attention to Warframe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trst said:

Good topic :clem:

On a serious note; Umbra is going to be the biggest blunder in this game's history. Not a single thing DE can do to match the hype players built.

people are still hyped for umbra? I don't understand how someone can have to emotional fortitude to hold onto hype that long. At this point the only way I can be disappointed is if it doesn't add ANTHING new to the gameplay feel considering how long they kept pushing the idea that they wanted it to be something more than a new skin or like another level of prime. Hell umbra could just be a frame that got controlled by the old S#&$ty specter AI when you jump into Operator and i'd be like "ehh cool"

Edited by Jakorak

12 hours ago, Thaylien said:

We know that Steve writes the original script for each quest from his Twitter, recently he released this on there:

Reveal hidden contents

Dad8ENPU8AI5G2c.jpg:large

Combine that with the DevStream 109 comments about having their first read through of the dialogue, and that there will be no more news about the Quest on DevStreams, it likely means that they're happy with enough of the script now to begin full production.

But we know about the change to their Dev Team and what they were previously working on because they announced the game 'The Amazing Eternals' last year, and have since ceased production. Sad, I know, because I wanted to see what that was going to be like.

https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/2017/08/founders-program-revealed

On DevStream 108, where the 'Frame Fighter' game mode was previewed, they said that the developers of that were a couple of people from the Amazing Eternals team, having returned to the main studio and started working on Warframe again.

So yeah, there's a few things that must be new and different that DE are working on, as Hypernaut1 says, but they're all to do with Warframe right now.

After Amazing Eternals didn't fly and shut down at Christmas, they'll likely spend a few more months consolidating and concepting before they launch out onto a new game entirely as they tried to do there, so we can expect a few blissful months of full-capacity team attention to Warframe.

Interesting.  The fans have had their Voice heard.  They want more Warframe development in all aspects in this Generation and beyond.

.I hope Steve is ok with that and still passionate about it.