Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Here are the Opticor Vandal Stats

Polo13X

I get the problems people are having with this. The flavor of the weapon does not match this kind of performance. Is it good? Sure. That doesn't mean it can't be criticized thematically, though. I have similar issues with other weapons. Like the Akstilettos sound like toy laser pistols /shudder.

I'll have fun with it when I get it at least. The stats look really solid. It might feel goofy to use but I won't know until I try it out.

6 minutes ago, Deadoon said:

Regular opticor with vile acceleration has a charge time of 1.05~, which is 70% longer than the base charge time of the vandal. 

...And still hits more per shot when half-charged. Better yet, Vile Accel isn't even necessary on standard Opticor because of the half-charge mechanic, it's a personal preference thing.

I really don't think you get what Opticor was all about, and why people are dissatisfied with what is basically a wannabe Ferrox.

Edited by Lucaine
  • Like 2

Just now, Lucaine said:

...And still hits more per shot when half-charged. I really don't think you get what Opticor was all about, and why people are dissatisfied.

And if you use vile on the vandal you can get 1 and a half full charged shots out in the  less time. Or full vs full, 3 full charged in under a second.

Honestly, the big reason I find this disappointing are twofold. I do not think it was worth the 4+ hours of what basically equates to Mobile Defense: The Event for the base damage being what it is. If the base damage was a little over half of regular Opticor's, I wouldn't have an issue. However, the base damage is under half of the regular Opticor's base damage. I understand side grades are a thing, but considering the farm, I wish the reduced damage was at least half of the original, not below half. Like, instead of 400 v. 1000 damage, if it were 550 or 600 for the Vandal, then Vandal becomes a perfectly fine side grade/upgrade in my opinion.

That all being said, I have put forth 5 forma and a riven in it, and it handles regular content perfectly fine. I am SO happy to finally have an Opticor with sub 1-second charge rate without a fire rate mod needed. Having an Opticor that I can stand to use is really, really nice turns out. Especially considering how pretty the Vandal is to color and customize, having a large, very shiny cannon of death is more than welcome.

I get the feel that DE are gonna look over reviews this weekend and, maybe, buff its stats some. Only time will tell, but it's good to remember to not be ugly and to stay constructive! 

I just got it this evening and I'm ranking it up. I think it's very practical... even without any fire rate mods, the 0.6 charge rate is tolerable on its own. But with Speed Trigger, it drops 0.38 and it's even more like firing a normal semi-auto rifle. Still, you do not need a fire rate mod to use this thing for practical stuff. The magnetic explosion also complements it well.

My first impression? I think it's great. It's got high status (30%), reasonably high critical chance (24%), needs no fire rate mods, and it's immediately usable and practical for normal missions. I'm not MR 14 yet to try vanilla Opticor, but the 2 second charge rate should already eat up a mod slot for fire rate. And how close to 0.6 can you get? The normal Opticor also doesn't have as high of critical chance or status or even critical chance multiplier. And all your shots with Opticor will count where the Opticor Vandal, you can deal damage here and there in installments pretty quickly. I'm surprised how practical it is... thought even 0.6 second charge rate would be awful.

56 minutes ago, Deadoon said:

Regular opticor with vile acceleration has a charge time of 1.05~, which is 70% longer than the base charge time of the vandal

0.60 and 1 isn't too big of a difference. The regular lower MRed opticor is literally flat out better.

If you want a S#&$ty gun like the this Opticor vandal then just get the ferrox. This isn't what Opticor was meant for nor loved for.

Edited by Arc2199

48 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

Oh, I didn't know the Opticor has 1 extra mod slot to fit in that Vile Acceleration. Fitting in Vile Acceleration into the regular Opticor already puts it one step behind the Vandal on modding. You're still behind on reliability with Magazine Capacity and Reload Speed. 

They did the best thing they could do to make it viable, they took it out of a field where it couldn't compete in in the long run. It uses Rifle Ammo, that indicates something. There's no way the Opticor would fair well against Sniper Rifles because of the combo and scope bonuses unless you make it incredibly broken for the sake of making it top meta.

Except it out easily. The opticor never had an issue with Magazine capacity and reload speed. And did you read what I said? Even without the need of Vile acceleration the Vandal still SUCKS. Even if you drop a mod in there it PALES in comparison. SO I dont care if its "behind in modding" cause that's the dumbest way to look at it.

• Like 1

I use opticor... a lot. I mean, A LOT. It has always been my fav go to, even back when everyone was hating the charge beam concept. No, the broken gammacor was bettef... bleh. 

I remember when I really tuned it, mirage was the go to. Managed a super rare orange 1.3 million crit on a grineer in the old derelict. Even one tapped stalker once.

Nowadays I laugh at my constant 90-400k hits, with a rare orange 15mil crit here and there. Overkill? Oh hell yes, especially when that procs on something stupid like a kubrow.

Is it nice one tapping bosses? Yes. Will I miss it? Yes. Is 90% of the shots fired sheer wasted overkill? Oh yeah... So I'm looking forward yo trying it... with my god roll riven in hand, lol.

rPXuqCa.png

So, what we have here is basically a ferrox with
- An almost insignificant +50 damage
- Faster fire rate
- Smaller magazine
- Smaller Ammo pool
- Less crit chance
- Less crit multiplier
- Less punch through
- More status (20%more)
- Faster reload
- And no secondary fire.

It is my opinion that the appeal of the opticor to begin with was that it was a big sodding laser cannon. The charge time and slow reload basically compensated for the huge potential burst damage that it could do.

The Vandal goes against this philosophy, and it's quite a bold choice, considering they slashed Opticor Vandal's damage by more then 50%. I've found this specific statistic of the weapon dull, and although we still have regular opticor, this feels more like a side-grade at best, instead of an upgrade, like most Vandals do.

I don't know if I'm the only one that feels like this was a huge let-down, but I might as well give my feedback into this. I didn't want another ferrox, personally, and I find the Vandal very disappointing due to the similarities. I might be mistaken, and I don't want to come off as entitled, just... I don't like how they traded over half of its damage for a faster reload and a larger magazine. The charge rate increase is the biggest upside, although it also is one of my biggest complaints. This doesn't feel like a big, powerful laser cannon anymore.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xiusa said:

but it's cool

It really is, no argument there. 😂

I'm not even that miffed over this, I'll use it even if they don't change it, but might as well give my opinion. Just doesn't feel Optocor-y to me.

• Like 1

The gun is a much different version of opticor. I like opticor alot I also like this version alot. Just a pure stat buff reskin would not be interesting. Sure opticor may have been replaced by other weapons as the top tier but if you only care about max level damage than why do you care about the play style or the way a weapon looks. I personally welcome it and I'm gonna have a tough choice deciding between which one to use primarily. You will be able to easily clear 95% of content with the vandal I never really understand why people want powercreep of all the previous weapons I much more appreciate when prime weapons, vandal, wraith etc are now being side grades or different variants rather than reskins with bigger numbers. I personally think it is a great weapon. Whether it was worth slogging through the awful event to get is another question though.  

i still think of the opticor kinda like a laser pointer that points things into oblivion now it does it slight faster 
though what you may want to have done is compared it to the normal opticor comparing it to the ferrox seems a little off? 
like why in the first place wouldn't it be easier and logical to compare to the thing its suppose to be a alter formed of rather then a laser stick that you can throw? 

13 minutes ago, seprent said:

i still think of the opticor kinda like a laser pointer that points things into oblivion now it does it slight faster 
though what you may want to have done is compared it to the normal opticor comparing it to the ferrox seems a little off? 
like why in the first place wouldn't it be easier and logical to compare to the thing its suppose to be a alter formed of rather then a laser stick that you can throw? 

A better comparison would be that the vandal is the sustained to the regular Opticor's burst.

As for the compare, Both Ferrox and OV function in charge-to hitscan mechanics and have innate punch through, and require the same mastery rank to obtain. The similarities were there since the Ferrox's release. And I know for a fact that the prime usage of the Ferrox is most certainly not the secondary throw fire.

My argument here is that I can make both the ferrox and the Opticor into basically semi-auto pew pews, with one being *slightly* better. The lesser crit that vandal has is compensated with for more or less, the AOE. However, even if the opticor performs better statistically, one of my favorite things about the original is gone, being the weighty,powerful feel of the weapon.

Both feel very similar to use to me, and this is why I drew the comparison.

Edited by Snydrex
Specification

I still prefer the vandal to the normal is most cases, the normal one is very unwieldy and clunky to use in the majority of the game, since you’re basically overkilling everything. The vandal is the best version for normal play, it’s supplementary stats make it a lot more fun to use while still having the BFG feel to it since you’re 1 shotting enemies still while using a big freaking gun, it’s just that you’re doing it more efficiently that the normal one 

Is still use the normal for eidolon hunting, but for everything else? The vandal is my choice, and it feels different enough than the ferrox too, even if their stats and mechanics are the same, appearance plays a big role here

Upgrading the Opticor - by cutting it's base damage down to 40% - yes we have a winner - the Opticor Vandal.

Let the player-base grind for it during a new grindy event where it will be the top prize - players that gets to the grindy top will have no clue what they are really getting - Mastery fodder.

• Like 1

The Vandal is viable in general as a weapon, but is more a variant to the Ferrox than the original Opticor, which is likened to the Doom weapon or Spartan laser in its effect/use. The overkill potential of the weapon was its appeal. After grinding my ass off to get the weapon, I am just now searching online to confirm that this more than 50% damage cut to the damage wasn't a bug in stats or the UI. I feel a bit cheated. I would definitely not have put such urgency in acquiring it, had I known that the weapon's profile was changed to drastically.

As for the people complaining about the original Opticor, I feel like they never really took advantage of partial charge fire mechanic.

Edited by Ryme

On 2019-03-08 at 5:23 AM, Glyphicality said:

It might be, and this is just a guess, something to do with the 70% reduction in charge time?

You can achieve relatively the same thing with primed shread/vile acceleration on Opticor. 

The 60% damage cut *could* be offset by its crit/status hybrid build especially for gas but im.not sure

Il y a 8 heures, Bronjun a dit :

Agreed. I wouldn't want a Tigris Prime shooting like Boar. 

Kohm does that and no one is whining.

Less damage but more critical/status and really high fire rate. Same MR though, it sounds fair to me. People are just salty cause they didn't get the new toy they wanted this christmas. If one prefers the old Opticor then use it, we aren't forced to use anything in this game.

• Like 2