Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

WHAT ARE THOSE!!!

Arthurah

They say Warframes are powerful because they harness Void energy in different ways and are masters of gun and blade, but really their power comes from all the different weird feet they have. Oberon's hooves, several high-heeled frames, both male and female, and don't even get me started on the weird feet that come with most Deluxe skins.

11 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

They say Warframes are powerful because they harness Void energy in different ways and are masters of gun and blade, but really their power comes from all the different weird feet they have. Oberon's hooves, several high-heeled frames, both male and female, and don't even get me started on the weird feet that come with most Deluxe skins.

Or Wisp with no feet or Gauss with stick feet.

Maybe the idea behind them is that digitigrade animals generally are faster than plantigrade animals. 

High heels also force you to walk on your toes, with the heel still supporting your foot, meaning that the designer doesn't have to give the Warframe the leg shape a digitigrade animal comes with to balance the weight of the body.

Considering that Warframes are bio-mechanic (?) and much more agile in general, they probably can avoid the problems with high heels, the rigidity of the heel and the balance.

So, like with Gauss walking on tiny feet, they are maybe meant to imply that the character is capable of quick movement. I remember reading something similar in an old character design book, but I have honestly no idea if this really makes sense. Because I have tried running in high heels. Would not recommend.

The more important question is: why does Lech Kril have heels? Double heeled heels. That dude is slow and wields a hammer.

4 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

Have you seen the 4" heels worn by Nidus? Let's just just go with "eccentric aesthetics".

Hey man, when you're a literal demigod that can swathe through hordes of heavily-armored potato sacks in seconds, I imagine no one's willing to critique your fashion sense.

That being said, a lot of Warframes have designs that serve a purpose. Mesa, Protea, even Nidus in this instance. Thematic and fitting, you'd be surprised how many Warframes are very well-designed.

You all do realise that heels were originally a feature of masculine, not feminine footwear?

Heels were originally added to cavalry shoes to make it easier to keep a rider's feet in the stirrups. They were then adopted as a fashion in men's footwear (just google for some pictures of Louis XVI) - as a way for men to show how manly they were! They only became a feature on women's shoes much much later!

So I guess Chroma and Oberon are just a bit old-school - nothing wrong with that!

44 minutes ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

You all do realise that heels were originally a feature of masculine, not feminine footwear?

Heels were originally added to cavalry shoes to make it easier to keep a rider's feet in the stirrups. They were then adopted as a fashion in men's footwear (just google for some pictures of Louis XVI) - as a way for men to show how manly they were! They only became a feature on women's shoes much much later!

So I guess Chroma and Oberon are just a bit old-school - nothing wrong with that!

Exactly.  And it was only a century ago when the norm in the West was pink for boys and blue for girls (because pink is a "more decided and stronger color").  Those who do not study history will always be surprised by...  Nothing at all?

vor einer Stunde schrieb (NSW)BalticBarbarian:

Jup. I actually studied fashion design and it is really fascinating how clothing has changed over the years/centuries.

I think this might be the reason why Lavos specifically has heels. (Not the cavalry bit but the old-fashioned bit), him being an Alchemist and all.

With the other Warframes I am not so sure, since they are not all inspired by western culture.

I approve of those manly manly heels.

And besides, while everyone who's pointing out the manly origin of heels is 100% correct, heels are still sported by many a manly shoe. Nowadays they are generally wide heels, around 1 cm high. I really don't get what OP is trying to do in this thread, aside making everyone go like "yes, here's a short history of heels in Western fashion, also give us more heels DE".

1 hour ago, Sinekanter said:

With the other Warframes I am not so sure, since they are not all inspired by western culture.

Arguably, Chroma is a European dragon (fire-breathing murder machine), not an eastern dragon (wise magical spirit-worm). And Oberon is a druid/paladin - also straight out of European folklore. Nidus... yeah, not sure what that is.

5 hours ago, Sinekanter said:

Maybe the idea behind them is that digitigrade animals generally are faster than plantigrade animals. 

Have a look at modern running prosthetics ("running blades"). There's actually a good argument to claim that they are more efficient for sprinting than a human lower leg (although they clearly can't make up for the damage caused during whatever incident that makes the prosthetics necessary in the first place).

Human legs have evolved for endurance running and (partly) climbing trees. If you want an optimal leg for sprinting - you need to look elsewhere.

12 hours ago, YUNoJump said:

The Empyrean Nezha skin got pawsies. (read that in a squeaky anime voice)

Too bad they didn't stick to the concept art though. Those claws look badass.

Spoiler

1000?cb=20180914232421

Archived