Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A farewell to arms.

EdwardHowton

Fellow Tenno, and everyone at DE,

Thank you.

I've had a mildly rough time the past few years. Cancer, twice, and brain surgeries that left me half blind (or as my new in-game name warned, a LegallyBlindTenno). Through all of it, Warframe kept me going. I missed attending the first Tennocon because I was slightly dying at the time, and I promised myself I would attend them all until I died. I attended the second Tennocon, and made VIP the third year. Sadly, I've got to face reality. A lot of that going on.

I spent the past year fooling myself into thinking I could still play. I could, after a fashion; muscle memory and minimap-aiming let me at least pretend I could still play. I wanted to hang in there until MR30. I was going to make it to that glorious milestone, and then I could die happy. Silly, sure; it's a game and it's weird getting emotionally attached, but at the same time, it's better than some alternatives and I can damn well decide to be attached to whatever I want!

But the MR30 test wrecked me. I can't do it. I beat my head against it for a solid week, practice after practice, until what's left of my visual cortex gave up and decided to go on vacation for the rest of the month. My vision gets blurry when I overuse it. And worse, I can't tell enemies from friendlies from background elements apart anymore. Makes it difficult to keep track of the tight timer in the MR30 test while also getting headshots required to kill off the tough boss enemies fast.

In short, I can't keep up. My big thing was beating MR30, being the blind space ninja. I can't see that happening (get it? can't see? blind joke!), and I'd be disgusted with myself if I beat an MR30 test made easier.

So after all these years I've spent with the game, after all the hours and money I sank into it gladly, I'm afraid this is where this blind Tenno has to retire. I've lost all my other hobbies already, and now I'm left trying to find a new one. But it's been worth it. Warframe helped me through the worst time of my life and helped me turn it into the best.

Thank you all. And keep making Warframe the best game on the market, all of you. I might not be able to play, but I might pop in now and then to see what everybody's up to

And if you see some weirdo with a mail slot cut into the back of his head wearing a golden threshcone at Tennocon, keep to his left side, because I won't see you coming from my right and I'll just bump into you.

Enjoy what you can when you can. It's the best way to live!

P.S. DE seriously I've been trying to get you guys to finish the Grakata weapon set for years now. Three-Grakatas-Onna-Stick. Am I going to have to camp outside your door? You know I'm right!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been forced to give up a hobby that you love.  I can only mildly relate, as I regularly wonder if/when my arthritis will get bad enough that I'll have to stop.  But what you're talking about is on a whole 'nother level, and I can't help but mourn your loss. Wishing you the best.

I was gonna make a joke about 2021 going hard, but that might be taking it a bit too far.

30 minutes ago, EdwardHowton said:

because I was slightly dying at the time,

"Dude you're gonna miss the Con!"

"I can't go, I'm literally dying."

31 minutes ago, EdwardHowton said:

I attended the second Tennocon, and made VIP the third year

"What about the next one, though?"

"I'll be there."

The absolute mad lad goes to a con despite literally dying.

Hat's off. You absolute unit.

33 minutes ago, EdwardHowton said:

But the MR30 test wrecked me.

On the off-chance that you might want to give it another go, here's some advice for completing it: (You may already know this information)

The MR30 test is split into 5 stages. Each stage has the following objectives:

1) Kill some number of enemies.

2) After you killed those enemies, some "boss" enemies will spawn. Kill those.

3) After the "boss" enemies are dead, use the life support capsule. (I think this step is not communicated in the test itself)

You need to complete those 3 steps in order to move on to the next stage. It's a common mistake that people will do their best to keep life support up without using the capsule - therefore they end up never progressing to the next stage!

With your limited vision, I suggest using a frame like Mesa where you can use regulators. This will help with aiming. You'll have some difficulty because typically one of the "boss" enemies has a nullifier, and there is also a single arbitration drone. So if you're not doing damage, you may want to keep a high-range melee weapon handy for those two scenarios. 

Another bonus of Mesa: You mentioned that you can still use the minimap. In the MR30 test when using Mesa the ground will be littered with life support drops, each of which will make a yellow marker on the minimap. This will make it difficult to find the stationary life support capsule needed to activate in order to trigger the next stage. However, when Mesa's 4 is active, all of the other yellow markers disappear, so you will see only a single marker - the important capsule.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck for the future - you will be missed here.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Sevek7:

On the off-chance that you might want to give it another go, here's some advice for completing it: (You may already know this information)

The MR30 test is split into 5 stages. Each stage has the following objectives:

1) Kill some number of enemies.

2) After you killed those enemies, some "boss" enemies will spawn. Kill those.

3) After the "boss" enemies are dead, use the life support capsule. (I think this step is not communicated in the test itself)

You need to complete those 3 steps in order to move on to the next stage. It's a common mistake that people will do their best to keep life support up without using the capsule - therefore they end up never progressing to the next stage!

With your limited vision, I suggest using a frame like Mesa where you can use regulators. This will help with aiming. You'll have some difficulty because typically one of the "boss" enemies has a nullifier, and there is also a single arbitration drone. So if you're not doing damage, you may want to keep a high-range melee weapon handy for those two scenarios. 

Another bonus of Mesa: You mentioned that you can still use the minimap. In the MR30 test when using Mesa the ground will be littered with life support drops, each of which will make a yellow marker on the minimap. This will make it difficult to find the stationary life support capsule needed to activate in order to trigger the next stage. However, when Mesa's 4 is active, all of the other yellow markers disappear, so you will see only a single marker - the important capsule.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck for the future - you will be missed here.

Take Saryn, honestly, she makes it way, way easier than Mesa ever could. Just infect a guy with 1, kill him and watch everything die the whole time. If you really need some kills, you hit 4 and then rinse and repeat.

Best luck in your life mate, there are more important things in life and maybe you can discover them now. If one door closes, another one will open, always.

1 hour ago, EdwardHowton said:

Makes it difficult to keep track of the tight timer in the MR30 test while also getting headshots required to kill off the tough boss enemies fast.

The bosses are easier to kill with melee anyway

Godspeed, Tenno o7

I hope people who always busy complaining about warframe and insulting DE read this thread.

This is how a game community should look like. People who wholeheartedly love the game that they play.

You, sir... are a true tenno. Thank you for being a part of this community, we don't deserve you, but we're really glad to have you. May you always have strength and spirit, may any illness that come to you be as painless as possible, god bless you always.

energy pads, Saryn and a couple uses of Kuva Nukor got me through the test. if it's still not working, thane I guess that's just how it is. hoping maybe one day cyber-optics like in Deus Ex will be a thing, then you'd be fine lol. 

good luck with whatever path you travel down next ;)

6 hours ago, EdwardHowton said:

In short, I can't keep up. My big thing was beating MR30, being the blind space ninja. I can't see that happening (get it? can't see? blind joke!), and I'd be disgusted with myself if I beat an MR30 test made easier.

Do you have a Khora? I just beat MR29 today and I tried the MR30 practice test and I found that Khora could do this easily without much aiming.

The only hard part for you would be the occasional arbitration drones... but perhaps Proboscis Cernos or Bramma will allow you to kill them without aiming (they are squishy compared to real arbitration drones). But otherwise, you could pass MR30 test without having to aim with her. I can share my setup if that would help you.

Oh yes... the life support capsules between waves do spawn a ways away. That might be hard! If you can see and reach the life support capsules, I think you can still past this MR30 test with Khora with a Bramma or Proboscis Cernos (to kill the arbitration drones without aiming).

What a moving story, so sorry to hear what you're going through, I admit that games are a great escape to take your mind off things in real life, I know this also.

Like others have mentioned try out those ideas and try and complete the test, it is something that will keep you going, admittedly it'll be hard but it will feel awesome when you do it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for you in the end.  :sadcry:

May your courage and determination serve as a beacon of light in these dark times.   Thank you for your inspirational story and making me appreciate the little things most of us take for granted.  I hope can find a solution to your MR30 test woes and will soon be able to join us at the Big Boys table upon passing it.  You are a gentleman and a scholar and will be sending Good Vibes your way!

Hugs!

Archived