Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there any reason why not many people play Protea?

AzureScion

6 hours ago, AzureScion said:

turn into a cloud that moves faster than Razorwing Blitz Titania? 

You've never used Razorwing Blitz Titania if you think any frame in the game comes even close to matching her speed.

1. Most of the missions are too easy with her and not in a good way. Kinda like octavia you can sit in place, put 2-3 powers on and you essentially are done(even sp yes)
2. She is not the easiest frame to get for new players as for wukong/prime... the normal one is from the dojo, the prime is still cheap and you can essentially put auto build on him and he will still work. For protea to get to that level you need some kind of a good-ish build at least to reach 20-30% of her potential.

2 hours ago, Alpheus said:

You've never used Razorwing Blitz Titania if you think any frame in the game comes even close to matching her speed.

Yeah well it's an overexaggeration. Of course Razorwing Titania is faster, I'd even go far to say that it is the fastest traversing method in the entire game, possibly even competing with Railjack speed. That's why I put it there to compare with that stupid cloud.

1 hour ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

Okay...you might as just put the controller or keyboard down and do nothing. Yareli isn't good for anything atm. At least Wukong can speedrun and deal damage with the right weapons. Yareli herself as a frame is useless.

Again, overexaggeration. Yareli is quite possibly the most useless frame in the game right now, That's why I put it there to compare with my experience of keep getting 3 Wukong Primes in games. Though let me tell you I'd really take 3 Yarelis over 3 Wukong Primes any day. I like it when my game has diversity, not the same one frame rushing to objective and completing missions in less than a minute. Also putting down controller and keyboard is what most Wukong players do anyway. They don't play the game, their clone does.

1 minute ago, AzureScion said:

Yeah well it's an overexaggeration. Of course Razorwing Titania is faster, I'd even go far to say that it is the fastest traversing method in the entire game, possibly even competing with Railjack speed. That's why I put it there to compare with that stupid cloud.

Again, overexaggeration. Yareli is quite possibly the most useless frame in the game right now, That's why I put it there to compare with my experience of keep getting 3 Wukong Primes in games. Though let me tell you I'd really take 3 Yarelis over 3 Wukong Primes any day. I like it when my game has diversity, not the same one frame rushing to objective and completing missions in less than a minute. Also putting down controller and keyboard is what most Wukong players do anyway. They don't play the game, their clone does.

I like diversity too, but when you play pubs, people will play how they want. Whether it's someone like you who enjoys the grind, or someone being stupid efficient with their runs, people are gonna gravitate towards efficiency in a game like this. 

probably due to the Granum Void not being fun for most people (nobody played it for ages after getting Protea, until Sister of Parvos), and the fact that Dispenser can be on any frame now. I still really like her for the turrets and grenades, and use her from time to time, but I'm not that bothered about her 4th ability.

Ive seen more Proteas than Valkyr which I play mainly, missions tend to be Mesa Wukong and 2 random frames.

As for Protea well Granum Void, I can almost build her now since the Sisters arrived pushed me into doing some Granum Void but now I lack cryotic which I dont farm nor want to farm actively.

I sometimes play preotea, she is basically a "better" mesa but my opinion not as fun mesa...

I just find her ability rotation wayyyy too spammy in hard content, it feels like spinning plates on sticks you got to try balance keeping your overshields grenades up with keeping your slash grenades down while spamming your turrets that last seconds and trying to keep your energy / dispenser going and trying to get your power passive to line up

I play protea occasionally but she is way too fast and has too much micro arrangement to be fun.

3 hours ago, AzureScion said:

This right here shows how disingenuous this thread is. You don't actually have an interest in hearing why people don't use Protea, it's just a Wukong-hate thread by a different title. At least try to pretend like you have something constructive to say rather than spewing gross generalizations of Wukong players when you clearly have little to no experience using him outside of Hydron.

I've been a bigggg Protea player since she came out, just hit the right notes with me! Wasn't sure if her playstyle would fit in a fast pace game like Warframe but I've not really had any issues barring a small bit of survivability.

I do agree with that there are other frames that do what she does better, depending on the map / mission but for my style and what I want? Protea just wins for me. 

I will say though, never been a big fan of shields in WF, always felt squishy with them, though with that said, the Parasitic Armor ability gives Protea stupid good armor!

What do people use for survivability? 

33 minutes ago, Mediloric said:

What do people use for survivability? 

her shield grenade gives overshields, its stupid good on its own, invert the controls in options and just spam her 1 like crazy a bunch of times so they are all around you on the ground! your shield runs out you get a little immunity you will pick up a grenade that recharges it back up to full again. she dosn't need anything else to survive. since dispenser will be giving health orbs.

shes a good frame but her play style is just kind of annoying. All you do is spam your blaze artillery over and over and over again since they only stick around for 9 seconds at MOST, if you're in steel path then you need to spam your shield satellites too. The rewind part of her temporal anchor is cool and all but ultimately makes the ability feel clunky imo. 

If they just combined all 3 of her turrets into a single one that lasted 3 times longer I would play her way, WAY more. Same goes for if they made it so her Shield satellites didn't get destroyed when your shield gate pops.

The frame has almost nothing for her imho  except the fact that it is an all inclusive new player experience dream. Infinite heal/energy, overshield, strong aoe(for a 1), substantial free damage with turrets, only the ultimate is kind of bad ^^'.

Her animation are great, her passive is great, imho everything else makes absolutely no sense if you care about the metagame of warframe ^^'

I sometimes use her for Disruption after putting Gloom on. 

However, the #1 reason why I don't play Protea will sound kind of stupid. I absolutely dislike the weird side flip roll she does. That's simply the only reason why I use her maybe once a month for 10 minutes. 

8 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I still really like her for the turrets and grenades, and use her from time to time, but I'm not that bothered about her 4th ability.

Not gonna lie, I would have grinded out a second copy of her if her Grenades would have been the Helminth ability instead, but Dispenser isn't worth it to me to do so.

4 hours ago, Alpheus said:

This right here shows how disingenuous this thread is. You don't actually have an interest in hearing why people don't use Protea, it's just a Wukong-hate thread by a different title. At least try to pretend like you have something constructive to say rather than spewing gross generalizations of Wukong players when you clearly have little to no experience using him outside of Hydron.

I've used him enough to make my own opinions about him. Brought him to steel path survival, arbitration, railjack fissures, etc. And again, I brought him here because he's the most used warframe as to date, which makes a good comparison as to why Protea is not as popular, despite being equally as viable. I've put a lot of Protea discussions and opinions on this thread yet you seem to be more interested in the Wukong rant that I got a bit carried away with in the first place and not supposed to bring. Oh and no, it's not really a "gross generalization" when it's the behavior of at least 70% of Wukong players out there. I know you are aware of this and there's no way you can deny that there are more clone-explosives Wukong players that encourages boring playstyle than there are Primal Fury Wukong players. Something constructive? I have one: Stop bringing Wukong everywhere and try out other frames. Or at least play him differently.

And right, now I do get why people don't play her often. Varied reasons, but simply put because she's either too hard for one spectrum or too boring for the other. Which honestly I can't really draw a line or agree with because she's neither to me. She's a very fun frame that is viable in all content and has very interesting mechanic that I haven't seen in a long time since Garuda. But the number 1 reason why not many people pick her is truly what I mentioned originally in my main post: She can't spawn a clone that does your job while you sit idle on the objective and can turn into a cloud that moves faster than a goddamn railjack.

I haven't seen YOUR take on Protea either, so as to not extend my Wukong rant further, do you play Protea often? Why or why not?

Archived