Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't reset my active power if I fall off the map.

CrazyCatLad

It's been 8 years now, time to stop resetting an active power if we fall off your maps. There are plenty of spots I can parkour out of but the map has it predetermined that I can't. 

For those spots that are a bottomless pit, dont reset the active power as well.

Anyone annoyed by this? It was understandable before parkour years ago but time to remove this obsolete inconvenience. 

It bothers me because it's not always clear what is a reset pit, there are some shallow/high up areas that seem like you can walk/parkour on them but they reset you and sometimes you can safely exit a pit and it can still reset you. And the consequences can happen without there actually being a reset pit (i.e falling through map due to bugs) resulting in lost abilities and no energy for no fault of your own. 

I'd be happy for some changes to this system (same thing happens for host migration and feel it might not be as simple of a fix there but an energy return on cancelled abilities would be nice in that regard) though I'm not sure what should be done. Dying instead is a possibility and I'm not sure that's any better. 

Removing it entirely would take away the risk from traversing the maps, and while I don't feel its a common enough thing to make a huge difference to warframe, some of the recent tilesets seem to really want you to fall off the map so I'm assuming its something the developers actually want punishment for in some regard. 

I honestly don’t think moving around the map needs risks. If you think we do need them why stop at power why not damage death?

The argument that we need some kind of risk really just sounds like some one who argues for the status quo. No matter what the status quo is that type of person argues for it.

This would solve an annoyance with fishing mode... you fall into water or wade in it too much, you reset and remain in fishing mode! Now recast an ability... oops... that's some spent-standing you dropped on the ground.

EDIT: BTW, respawn volumes do have their uses... I use them primarily to escape bugged abilities. If respawn volumes didn't reset powers, I'd have abort the mission!

25 minutes ago, BDMblue said:

I honestly don’t think moving around the map needs risks. If you think we do need them why stop at power why not damage death?

The argument that we need some kind of risk really just sounds like some one who argues for the status quo. No matter what the status quo is that type of person argues for it.

Risk is one of the things that helps make games what they are. Take away too much risks and you get an easy game(sometimes even just an interactive movie and not a game). Sure movement might not be the most risk vs reward type of mechanic but in Warframe it has such a strong concentration on the movement system that I think some risk is appropriate.

Risks can make things more fun. Without the ability to fail you might not feel like you've achieved anything when you complete a task. Risk is what often makes things more satisfying.

Why don't you think movement needs any risks? 

1 hour ago, CrazyCatLad said:

Anyone annoyed by this? It was understandable before parkour years ago but time to remove this obsolete inconvenience.

After 8 years you would expect an experienced player to have gotten used to it and not bother, i at least i dont and there has to be some consequences to being pushed into a hole out of the map.

Dont see Parkour as excuse, there are many games with similar mobility where you still have consequences for falling off a platform.

59 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

the alternative is "you fall, you die". it makes no sense to have pits if you can fall in them for free.

Yeah, when i first joined the game back in 2013 i thought getting thrown offmap or into pits would get me killed or at least deal a hefty amount of damage so i used to avoid them, until one day i got launched out of the map by a Shockwave Moa and i got kinda disappointed.

il y a 16 minutes, Corvid a dit :

What makes you think it's an engine problem?

It is a rendering and element existence issue. It's the engine who puts you OOB when you move to far from the referential or the camera or whatever, not a 3D expert but the fact that you get OOB issues that ruin buffs and make you respawn on the same position(in quite a few tilesets, and since basically years now), is itself the proof that it is not fixeable, so is an engine limitation, either that or everybody working on warframe is a retard wich is statistically not really plausible.

I don't think that it's bad to lose your powers if you actually fall into a pit, but there are countless places in the game where it "counts" as falling into a pit even when there is clearly a place to stand on, etc.  The "out-of-bounds" zones are inconsistent to say the least, and when this happens it can be pretty frustrating to be impacted by something the game didn't communicate properly.

I would rather they fix/change the whole concept of void out zones. With the various tools available to us it's rather easy to jump outside or above a level. They need to update the maps to make void zones further away especially in older maps that have these zones in even shallower places.

We clearly have a whip (parazon) we could use to swing back into the action without needing a state reset if used at the right time as well.

So I am okay with state reset , I am not okay with some of the locations where it happens.

4 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

the alternative is "you fall, you die". it makes no sense to have pits if you can fall in them for free.

Nah man, most of the time if you fall off through a knock down while playing in a fairly high level mission where enemies are plentiful and constantly spawning you'll be instagibbed by high level enemies before you even regain control of your frame. So basically it already is if you fall you die.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I don't think that it's bad to lose your powers if you actually fall into a pit, but there are countless places in the game where it "counts" as falling into a pit even when there is clearly a place to stand on, etc.  The "out-of-bounds" zones are inconsistent to say the least, and when this happens it can be pretty frustrating to be impacted by something the game didn't communicate properly.

The sky is another one that's very inconsistent ><

Levels have really, really varying ceilings and jumping too high resets you easily in some of them, it's not logical either in a lot of cases - the huge, open Corpus defense / intercept map with the massive pit in the middle and catwalks around the outside gives you a huge sense of space but the ceiling is actually really low and I have a hard time not just jumping out of this map sometimes. On top of that, some of them just have hard ceilings where you jump and can't go any higher while others will reset you ^^;

4 hours ago, Galuf said:

It is a rendering and element existence issue. It's the engine who puts you OOB when you move to far from the referential or the camera or whatever, not a 3D expert but the fact that you get OOB issues that ruin buffs and make you respawn on the same position(in quite a few tilesets, and since basically years now), is itself the proof that it is not fixeable, so is an engine limitation,

This assumes that it's not intentional. It's clearly not a case of "moving too far from a referential", as each tile has areas that are consistently considered "out of bounds" (even if some seem silly to us, they are always there when on a given tile), many of which are closer to the tile's centrepoint and entrances (which is where I'd assume referentials were placed, assuming they exist) than other, accessible portions of the tile.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's a deliberate part of the map design, rather than a glitch or engine issue.

Also, when you say stuff like

4 hours ago, Galuf said:

not a 3D expert

it kinda lends credence to the notion that you have no idea what you're talking about.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Galuf:

It is a rendering and element existence issue. It's the engine who puts you OOB when you move to far from the referential or the camera or whatever, not a 3D expert but the fact that you get OOB issues that ruin buffs and make you respawn on the same position(in quite a few tilesets, and since basically years now), is itself the proof that it is not fixeable, so is an engine limitation, either that or everybody working on warframe is a retard wich is statistically not really plausible.

When it's your own engine, the engine is just some arbitrary part of the game's code and "engine limitations" aren't an excuse.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb (PSN)robotwars7:

it's annoying, but the alternative would likely be a more harsh penalization, such as a large health loss, or even death. and if you have a means of energy regen, the only inconvenience is recasting, which is minor.

No, another alternative would be to just not do it. Where does it say that there has to be a penalty for leaving the arbitrary boundary the level designer set? For jumping down a hole which you can see the floor of? For standing on the wrong part of the architecture? For jumping too high?

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Hypernaut1:

You may as well ask them to remove pits all together and give us invisible barriers. No? Sounds ridiculous right?

It does sound ridiculous. That's why nobody asked for it. Do you also have something to say about the thing that people are actually talking about or did you just want to randomly interject that some arbitrary thing nobody asked for would be ridiculous?

Here's something to think about: There is already a penalty for going out of bounds and being reset to the last position. It's being slowed down because you just went out of bounds and are reset to the last position. If you don't recognize that as a penalty, maybe it's you who sucks at movement and not the other people.

Archived