Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Abyss of Dagath - Dev Workshop: Companion Improvements and Tweaks

[DE]Momaw

6 minutes ago, Minifig3D said:

So, are we also reducing the damage enemies deal per hit to only 50? or does the 50 healing scale with mission level? I imagine it being somewhat difficult to keep my companion alive on steel path after this change...

This reminds me of how they phrased the Vazarin changes. Lol.

• Like 8

Will the Mutagen component on Deimos companions (Vulpaphylas and Predasites) not working finally be addressed? They're supposed to adapt the Infestation to grant various damage type resistances, but they have never done so since their introduction. it makes breeding Vulpaphylas and Predasites to get a multi mutagen one pretty much pointless.

Edited by (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom
grammar
  • Like 7

These changes are a substantial improvement from where Companions are now. The fact that people are completely dismissing it because they can't have vaccum on 24/7 is baffling. Shield Recharge works on Moas now, Health regen mods heal a lot more per second, Hard Reset seems so much more viable. I'm excited for these changes to be implemented in game. I think having a minute at most where i don't have vaccum is okay, especially when you consider the fact that there are multiple ways to lowering that timer. 

• Like 13

There are a few numbers I'd like to see tweaked, but otherwise this rework is golden. I love The new Loyal Companion but I think it needs to also provide survivability or a shorter incapacitation time.

I love the aggro mechanic though, and I wish we had more in the game like that for tank frames, shield and swords, etc.

• Like 1

Could Sunika's "Unleashed" precept get a review? In its current state it doesn't seem to have any use beyond capture missions since it doesn't work on bosses, heavy units, Liches, Sisters, Demolysts, Acolytes and can't even target Parvos Treasurers.

The precept is a waste of a mod slot due to its highly specific use since Chesa Kubrows can just disarm any enemy with their Neutralize precept; the Sunika breed becomes entirely irrelevant when we keep in mind that their other precept, Savagery, does the exact same thing as Sahasa's Ferocity (enabling finishers with +120% damage) while Sahasa's Dig is arguably more useful since it just obtains drops out of nowhere.

• Like 4

If enemy radar is built-in now and u guys are set on not changing the vacuum, why not make it ''built-in'' then and free to slot for something that is going to be a tiny use for pets instead?

While most of these changes are nice, I honestly expected a bit more. By stats, my Helios with deconstructor prime clapped more enemies than Kavat did and I have used Kavat 2x more. Legit stood on the side and watched Vulpa struggling against lvl 70 single basic Moa, just to die from it. On a side note, my Kavat has 5 forma and a good build. Deconstructor was so-so, not even using its full potential.

Some alternatives and suggestions that are more than mod value changing:
- available captured animals as pets, if nothing else, at least as a reskin
- animals and/or captured animals roaming freely in Dojo (perhaps some special room or any room? Or I can even go further with this and suggest kubrows being able to roam in Earth-themed rooms, kavats in infested, moas in corpus etc. to avoid being too crowded. Also captured animals could be donated instead to the Dojo and have them roam freely - so those who have bunch of floofs already and/or don't want them can do something else with the animals)
- improvement to Al
- give more mod slots (like Necramech). None of these are game breaking, it might just help em survive more and/or be slightly more effective with what they do
- remove completely that X pet is down (with Vulpas it's just spam on the screen in a short duration)

Edited by --LA--Vengeance
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Cerikus said:

Pablo said that when companions go down you lose Vacuum and Animal instict temporarily. I will say this:

If you mean losing radar and vacuum on bleedout, I suspect Pablo's mind just blanked on how it works currently.   He didn't sound sure how it would work in any case, and it seems very odd to hide a random nerf in what is otherwise a bundle of boosts and QoL improvements.

17 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

If you mean losing radar and vacuum on bleedout, I suspect Pablo's mind just blanked on how it works currently.   He didn't sound sure how it would work in any case, and it seems very odd to hide a random nerf in what is otherwise a bundle of boosts and QoL improvements.

For companions, yes, but what about sentinels?

lol Pablo say people dont read.

•  

The stat buffs are nice, but irrelevant in Steel path when the enemies hit for millions of damage, doesn't matter if my companion has 8k or 13k effective health.

here i bold it for you

• The improvement to Shield Gating where it now scales with maximum Shield strength and fully resets as long as you have any Shield charge at all, also applies to Companions.
  • Companions can now gain Overguard and Overshield.

meaning if your companion is actually getting hit for a million damage it means they actually have a chance to apply

though, i would like to play with the new changes first before making a true opinion

• Like 12

Looks good overall but one concern i have is that if living companions can still enter bleedout state, i feel like Medi-Pet Kit and Loyal Companion should still increase the bleedout time. Also would be nice if Repair Kit can get a similar incapacitation time reduction to match.

Edited by 1manApocalypse
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Loyal Companion has been replaced entirely. Formerly it provided a 90% Bleedout-Link so that your Companion had a longer period of time where it could be revived. Since pet death is no longer a factor: Loyal Companion causes your pet to taunt enemies and draw fire to itself for 30 seconds if your Warframe falls below 35% Health. There is a 60-second cooldown between activations.

I feel like this should be a different mod instead, and give the Loyal Companion a 30s reduction on incapacitation timer. Especially if companion passives are going to get disabled during the 60s wait. I have a Kavat that I've modded specifically for bleedout timer, so I won't lose its buffs and can take my time in reviving it, and that should translate into incapacitation timer instead, so the feel of the playstyle is kept.

• Like 10

I like most of the changes. They're undoubtedly for the better. But I have a couple of suggestions though:

Companions should have some innate damage reduction on top of all of this EHP increase. For warframes (and sentinels that move along) surviving at high levels (particularly on Steel Path) is easier because they just do parkour, use skills that help with survivability, kill enemies, etc. However non-sentinel companions usually engage in battle and get killed quickly and that will keep on happening because of enemy damge scaling. This changes solve permadeath but just increasing EHP isn't enough to prevent the companions from being incapacitated most of the time

Regarding the Vacuum/Fetch mods, I think that removing their effects while the companion is incapacitated is bad. The better alternative would be to keep the effects at least partially (50% of maximum values maybe).   

Edited by frogov99
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Cerikus said:

Pablo said that when companions go down you lose Vacuum and Animal instict temporarily. I will say this:

If this is how it's going to work, then all that hard work team has put into the rework was a WASTE OF TIME.

Losing animal instinct is less significant because we have universal enemy radar, but it does give loot radar still, and losing vacuum is a big no. i agree overall, either keep the radars and loot vacuums or this was a massive waste of DE's time and money to make.

Edited by Joezone619
  • Like 1

edit: answered here:

Guess I'll just ask straight out: 

Will vacuum and radar mods continue to work in the incapacitated state?  Pablo thought 'no' during the devstream, but did not sound confident in the answer.  If the answer is actually 'yes' will that include Sentinels?

Just as background, (Hopefully I'm remembering these right)...

Beasts and Moas currently still have those mods work during bleedout.  So I'd hope that doesn't change for the Incapacitated state. 

Sentinels don't have a bleedout state, but do currently have access to instant self-revives with Regen / Reawaken.  I'd hope their use of Vacuum / Radar isn't impacted in the new  Incapacitated state either.   Otherwise I'd have some suggestions for reverting / partially reverting Regen and Reawaken.

Edited by Tiltskillet
answered
  • Like 6

I will say these changes are very nice and welcomed for the most part, and the team has addressed the main issue of companions dying repeatedly. But there is still more that NEEDS to be fixed. Namely Vacuum, Fetch, Assault mode, Swift Deth, Thumper, Calculated Shot, and Targeting Receptor mods. (All of these mods a copies of one another anyway.) All these mods are essential to play the game but there's no reason for them to be mods if the game genre is a LOOTER SHOOTER. You are indirectly punishing the player for playing game by taking up an entire mod slot for something that should be a base feature, and if you're simultaneously trying to improve the New-Player Experience, then why not make these mods a base feature? There is currently no tutorial in the game that tells a new play to install fetch or vacuum, or any of these attack mods on their companion, to enable them to pick up loot and attack (even if a weapon is currently equipped.) Honestly this change should be a no-brainer. Also all the companion weapons are extremely bad except for the Verglas. The Verglas isn't anything special either, its stats are copied and pasted from the Glaxion. it's the only usable companion weapon. There needs to be more variety in terms of weapon selection, and the weapons don't even have to kill, just make them useful. Providing buffs, CC, or, spreading status effects is just as good as killing enemies sometimes.

Edited by (PSN)pookie4180
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Other Companion Mod Changes:

You forgot to update this useless arcane https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Arcane_Bodyguard

Also please add the most crucial option  - removing attack mod should prevent pets from melee attacking (which is just a suicide on high level), so they would just stay by your side and do their abilities. Even specters can be commanded to hold ground, but pets are still running to their death non-stop.

Edited by Monolake
  • Like 9