Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

And when we look at the releases it would also take forever to release umbra versions for all the frames. Even primes are going to take forever to even get to this point of currently released regular frames considering that primes release about every 3 months.

Maybe they should take time to review the whole release order thing and try optimize it too. Maybe slow down with releases of regular frames, especially when we consider that some of the later frames felt like they weren't thought out well entirely and had to be reworked or adjusted. It would be of benefit as they would have more time to work with ideas.

As for Umbra's no clue how they will be implemented, quests would be nice but don't see it happening if they want to make it a regular release alike to primes, however lore is something that should be present at least.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

And when we look at the releases it would also take forever to release umbra versions for all the frames. Even primes are going to take forever to even get to this point of currently released regular frames considering that primes release about every 3 months.

Maybe they should take time to review the whole release order thing and try optimize it too. Maybe slow down with releases of regular frames, especially when we consider that some of the later frames felt like they weren't thought out well entirely and had to be reworked or adjusted. It would be of benefit as they would have more time to work with ideas.

As for Umbra's no clue how they will be implemented, quests would be nice but don't see it happening if they want to make it a regular release alike to primes, however lore is something that should be present at least.

though umbras could be released out of order if you think about it

we could get an umbra for some frames before a prime is unveiled 

• Like 1

There was some talk in the last devstream about new Umbra Warframes. How they will be gained would present an opportunity.

The Void, Lua and Kuva Fortress are currently underutilized. Could it be that we could open vaults in the Void/Derelict/Lua/Kuva Fortress with void keys from Orokin Vaults in order to gain said Umbra parts?

Im not worried about Umbra weapons and think there really shouldn't be any [or they should be extremely rare like the Skiajati and only obtainable in quests/special events] but nonetheless Umbra frames have the opportunity to reinvigorate [for the most part imo] these over-looked areas after people have stopped farming argon crystals/farmed Kavat DNA/killed sentients/farmed Kuva.

Edited by Ascythian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ascythian said:

There was some talk in the last devstream about new Umbra Warframes. How they will be gained would present an opportunity.

The Void, Lua and Kuva Fortress are currently underutilized. Could it be that we could open vaults in the Void/Derelict/Lua/Kuva Fortress with void keys from Orokin Vaults in order to gain said Umbra parts?

Im not worried about Umbra weapons and think there really shouldn't be any [or they should be extremely rare like the Skiajati and only obtainable in quests/special events] but nonetheless Umbra frames have the opportunity to reinvigorate [for the most part imo] these over-looked areas after people have stopped farming argon crystals/farmed Kavat DNA/killed sentients/farmed Kuva.

If they were going to do it, they might as well just add Umbra skins for prime frames.

Umbra Excalibur is basically just Excalibur prime for people who didn’t buy the founders pack. Besides aesthetic there isn’t really anything an Umbra variant would offer over a prime variant.

So unless they start gating even more primes behind exclusive one time bundles, I can’t see any reason from more Umbra frames.

Edited by (PS4)Mono-Pop
  • Like 1

I'd be fine with Umbral Starter frames, and no others. Volt and Mag, and perhaps Loki since he sat as a starter for quite a while, plus it'd even out to a team of 4 different Umbras. Perhaps not as much cinematic introduction is needed for these others, but I'd still appreciate lore and some measure of importance to their characters. That's about it. As for acquisition, if more cinematic quests are out of the question, it could be a more regular, low brow quest like the older, pre-Second Dream ones for different Warframes.

It'd be kind of cool if they released several Umbra frames and tied each frame to your choices within the story mission.

Choose majority Light, you get Trinity Umbra.

Choose majority Neutral, you get Rhino Umbra.

Choose majority Dark, you get Ash Umbra.

That way the mission has proper replayability and some story depth to see what certain choices reveal about the lore.

Edited by StarMoral

I kinda got the vibe that they're not really planning on any umbras in the foreseeable future.

Instead of making new and new clones of frames we have already acquired two times each I think the next step should be that we gain knowledge or technology that enables us to upgrade our own multi forma'd killer machines. I'd rather morph my Primes (or vanilla frames) into something else. It could even be something that has negatives and positives so we may have to choose if it's worth it. A continuation. Us meddling with stuff that maybe isn't a good idea. 

Excal Umbra could get to stay unique with his unique origin. Maybe add some other twisted models or a select few frames if DE wants to. I just don't want new frames, new Primes and also new Umbras of older frames to become a thing. It's feels like it would be overwhelming and not really serve a point.

22 minutes ago, wargthewarg said:

Instead of making new and new clones of frames we have already acquired two times each I think the next step should be that we gain knowledge or technology that enables us to upgrade our own multi forma'd killer machines. I'd rather morph my Primes (or vanilla frames) into something else. It could even be something that has negatives and positives so we may have to choose if it's worth it. A continuation. Us meddling with stuff that maybe isn't a good idea. 

This sounds like a cool idea. Possibly when you have an umbra forma on a frame, you could spend Kuva to ‘awaken’ said frames personality. If you do that you unlock an Umbra Skin for the warframe and it gets the sentience passive.

20 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

Umbra exists solely to replace the prime version coz it's not acquirable for non-founders. I don't see any need of other Umbra warframes. Now Umbra forma is a thing so there is one more reason not to make more Umbras.

22 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

No, no more umbra frames. 

That's why we're getting umbra forma ffs

Just like how there's no reason for things to get a Prime variant right? Because of the polarities?

No, of course not. Excalibur Umbra has Umbral polarities, sure, but also a slightly modified ability set, and different/better stats.

I'm not a huge advocate for more more more Umbras, except possibly starter frames as I've said in the thread, but the existence of Umbral Forma does not really affect the list of reasons to add or not add more Umbra frames. Besides, we don't have Sacrificial primary, shotgun, or sidearm mods, and there are other basic mods that could receive an Umbral version, though of course that reopens the whole powercreep discussion that Umbral/Sacrificial mods opened up when they were first released. 

2 minutes ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

If it is not announced at Tennocon when will the next Umbra Warframe and new Umbra mods be added?

1. DE doesn't want to make that many Umbras. It won't be another prime-line...

2. Not even DE knows yet. They said that in one of the latest Devstreams.

3. How is this feedback?

Edited by WhiteMarker
  • Like 3

Honestly, if they go for more Umbral frames, I'd prefer if it's behind some quest that has some actual challenges.

Like doing profit taker and Tridolons solo, archwing survival, 1H Index solo, survive 15 min in Mot with operator...etc.

Wouldn't mind a whole laundry list akin to Nightwave, hidden behind a quest. Each chapter rewarding a part of frame/weapon.

It would just be nice if it's not another "a matter of time" ordeal, let us actually need some skill or gear.

Umbra is really an embarrassing existence.We enjoy the convenience of Excalibur Umbra in those long-run missions like Index,however i don't regard it as a necessary of the game.So take it easy,if needed,there'll be new Umbra,if not,now it's good enough.

Edited by ArchWu5

46 minutes ago, ArchWu5 said:

however i don't regard it as a necessary of the game

Two points; first is that it's not necessary, but it's story. Story in a game like Warframe is far-between when you're not a new player starting out. Story is important, especially in a game like Warframe, because it gives us reasons to be doing all the grind. And so having the story behind Umbra, the explanations of the world that we're playing in, is the reason the warframe exists, and I certainly appreciate that it does ^^

Second, from a more outside point of view, Umbra is a way for players to get a Warframe with the same stats, and comparable visuals to a Prime that they will never have access to otherwise. With Umbral Forma being a thing that can be earned now, the exclusivity of the mods from The Sacrifice is also a non-issue.

But something DE have said is that there will be more frames that take a similar route to Umbra.

Not just 'Ember Umbra', or something silly like that, they meant frames that have a story to them that stands them apart from the others, makes them a little more unique. So we may learn the story behind the woman first burned by the Tenno powers (Ember Prime Codex), who had such anger towards the ones who would strand a ship in the void until the adults went mad and the children were all warped into some strange new beings full of destructive power. Her story as she was singled out by Ballas to get the same treatment as the Dax who became Umbra, turning her into a Warframe, but just like Umbra's despair and guilt turned him into a 'shadow' Excalibur, her righteous fire and passion were too strong, warping his intended design, wanting to turn them all to ashes, becoming Ember Cinere.

You never know, the design possibilities are there. Stories left to be told. And it would give them an actual excuse to work on Ember again and make her better.

I’m saying it now:

The New War will be the Story Vehicle that drives Umbra acquisition.  Perhaps it’s rails in the Tau system that offer rewards, or perhaps it uses the Invasion modes as the Sentients crash our Solar System.

Expect more ways to kill Sentients, Umbras included, at Tennocon reveal.