Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do players use parry while playing melee?

CrimsonSpawn

I feel as though parrying is only helpful when you have a primary or secondary equipped and some rando enemy shoots without you seeing them and you momentarily don't lose health/shields and that to if your angled correctly with that rando.

However, when playing melee, I just feel as though I'd rather zoom towards an enemy and slash n dash, then Ichigo Bankai their every single bullet whilst tip toeing towards em.

With regards to building the combo meter, again slash n dash is just more efficient.

With the melee changes coming, why not have parry be a bit more..... integral to melee? or just operate in a fashion that could give a good reason to ichigo bankai than just slash n dash?

Edit: Sorry, meant blocking..... Apologies

Do you specifically talk about parrying or BLOCKING?

Melee blocks passively as longs as its in hands and you look in enemy's direction with a specific angle.

There is also a parry mechanic which is: when any enemy attacks you in melee and you block it there is a chance that they'll get staggered and be opened to a finisher.

Either way both mechanics are pretty... Backgrounded, i would say. They don't really come into play that often and i keep forgetting they exist. If i block - i do so by accident.
If i parry - its almost always a grineer butcher. Its not like i can't oneshot him by just sneezing on him and the parry setup takes forever.

Yes, parrying would serve an interesting purpose in a balanced game with dangerous enemies where you need to plan tactics and defend yourself strategically.

But in Warframe I'm functionally invincible 100% of the time, so there's no reason to act strategically or ever bother parrying anything. 

49 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

Yes, parrying would serve an interesting purpose in a balanced game with dangerous enemies where you need to plan tactics and defend yourself strategically.

But in Warframe I'm functionally invincible 100% of the time, so there's no reason to act strategically or ever bother parrying anything. 

I don't think balance is at fault here. This game just wants you to murder MANY enemies. Parying is just slow. If it do something with other enemies within range then there would be some reason to use it.

As for Blocking.. from time to time.

I tried to parry once as new player when I got the mod. Couldn't figure it out and never tried it again. 

Blocking comes in handy at rare times when you're playing a frame without any defensive powers and need to run behind cover. Other than that, it's more just to look cool and "intimidate" the enemy , when you aren't in reall danger. It's a  showoff-y move. Kind of like how Tenno would use it in real life too probably. 

3 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

Is it even possible to parry after the removal of channeling?

iirc, you need to be channeling in order to parry, or else, the enemy will not be staggered.

Yes, but it only works when the enemy hits you with a melee attack (which is not explained anywhere in the game as far as I know). Blocking a melee attack has a small percentage chance to stagger the enemy and open them up to finishers. The mod Parry significantly increases this chance.

38 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Most players likely don't even use their brain while playing melee half the time.

I'm sure shooting the ground requires a brain too, or afking in a corner mindlessly 1 shotting enemies in a totally different room, or using Wukong and having the twin play the game for you. After all, these totally aren't the most used methods of playing the game.

Almost as if Warframe isn't a mechanically intensive game to begin with, and anyone claiming their preferred way of playing the game requires more thought than the alternative is lying.

4 hours ago, Artekkor said:

Melee blocks passively as longs as its in hands and you look in enemy's direction with a specific angle.

Automatic blocking is a feature of guns+quick melee, not just melee. If you actually equip your melee weapon, automatic blocking is disabled and requires you block manually. How melee feels in usage is different between the quick swap mode and fully equipping melee.

The best use I came up for blocking is a limbo tank.

You use the mod that pulls aggro while holding block... while in the rift.

It works perfectly to the point of being boring and game breaking, but that's actually the closest the game gets to how tanks traditionally work in mmos.

Maybe that's how melee should work, pulling more aggro than ranged weapons?

it would be pretty nice if you were rewarded somehow for a perfect parry on a melee attack, say instant guaranteed finisher, guaranteed Crit/status proc (for the sake of mods/arcanes that are triggered by them), etc. but there really isn't much call for it since it's like Dynasty Warriors, where we just go full blender on trash mobs without a second thought. "realistic" melee combat is a much more careful and tactical affair where you have to think about so many factors: is your stance right? are you in measure? (within striking distance), which side are you attacking from, etc. anyone here who practices a martial art will know that process, and in some games like For Honor you have to think about that too, but warframe isn't one of those games, you're already a magical space ninja, melee combat for us is just like chopping vegetables. 

I get why people want this, for the quick satisfaction of getting a tricky move just right (For Honor players, you never forget your first successful Deflect, am I right?), but these kind of mechanics don't really belong in warframe in it's current state, and I don't see many other ways of making melee worthwhile vs the cannon fodder we usually fight. 

9 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

but warframe isn't one of those games, you're already a magical space ninja, melee combat for us is just like chopping vegetables. 

yeah, I feel as though they have 2 options if they wanna change stuff up.  1) Make it extremely OP but a pain to access, SUGGESTION: Deflecting projectiles actually hits enemies and have a guaranteed chance of procing enemies with the modded status of your melee. However, the deflect function is only accessed once you reach 12x combo and then after deflecting between 10-15 projectiles, your combo meter is halved and you have to build it back up to access the deflect function. or....

2) Make it a utility, SUGGESTION: The basic stance for each melee (E, E and E) has an in-built deflection function. When you press E, based on the projectile's speed, your angle towards the enemy and when you pressed E, the projectile has a chance of deflecting and staggering the enemy. If your timing is perfect, then you'll completely stagger the enemy for a few seconds, if its moderate then you'll just deflect into a random direction, if your timing is bad then you'll get hit.

I would prefer the second option, as it kind of requires some focus/attention while playing melee (plus, I'd feel like a bad arse if I could deflect snipers). Also, players who may just wanna spam E, could also every now and then get a moderate deflect or full stagger and be like, "Hey.... cool".

I honestly think that the parry mechanics came out when DE haven't know what game warframe is going to be.

Just like stealth.

Apparently, warframe turns out to become a dynasty warriors game than onimusha/ninja gaiden game. And so we have a couple of obsolete mechanics in the game that nobody use, as mere relics from said times. And it's fine.

Il y a 19 heures, Sevek7 a dit :

As a SP player who play 15min+ survival and not only against grineer, I'm not 100% invincible.

But even then blocking has no purpose against enemies AoE that are at least as dangerous as direct hits (infested gas or yellow goo, grineer bombard, grenades, etc)

The only time I block is quick-melee auto-block while afking a solo Hijack as Inaros riding on top of the objective.

Blocking, as it stands, is helpful for new (read:un/under geared) players - who most likely don't know about it.
It's directional - which is fine in low level non-endless missions, and that's about it.
It's purely defensive - can't attack or cast, or it won't work. Which, again, is fine if you're fighting maybe 2 people at once, and they can't two-tap you.

Take that, and add the restrictions of parry, which is melee-ranged, single target, and you have to passively wait for the AI to trigger it.

No, I don't use it.
Maybe if it worked on Lech Kril, when he's unwilling to do the freeze-slam and keeps shooting/swinging instead.

As i almost exclusively play steel path, i enjoy using the blocking mechanic, especially while using frames that are kinda squishy. Plus, it feels really awesome to time your blocks with the time the enemies stop shooting at you and then kill them ^^

Also, i never auto-block, I hate it.

Archived