Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grind for frame vs circumvent with trade-frame farm plat to buy frame?

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

My breaking point was way back in the day when I grinded for Mesa. Hated it. Grinding the keys in the derelict sucked even with “key share”.  Because you had to grind the keys, to grind the segment to fight mut salad V. At that point I vowed never again. Ever since if I wanted  a frame I just skip the grind altogether and grinded plat instead to buy the frame outright. Also typically wait for a coupon. It’s been easygoing ever since. And tons faster. 

1. Would you rather play the grind for the frame, wait 12 hours to build each part then wait 3 days?  

Or

2. Would you rather farm the plat to buy the frame outright?

why?  

Is the farming spot torture?
If - No | | If - Yes
                 Just farm it | | Does it have a Prime?
 If -No | | If - Yes
Research if the farming spot has other valluables | | Farm the Prime                                                      
If - No | | If - Yes
                                                                           Farm the Plat | | Calculate how much Sanity you are willing to spend farming
                                                                                                   | | If you run out of Sanity, consider taking a break/farm the Plat

- ''But what about MR poi-''
- No.

Normally tried getting them without plat. A few I bought, but only after trying. I went multiple years not getting the last Ivara part, so I gave up and bought her. With recent Warframes, I just buy one with plat, then try getting it again for Helminth.

For me it is
1. Try to grind for the frame myself.
2a. Buy plat and then buy the frame or bundle.
2b. Add it to my wishlist and/or wish for it during Tennobaum.

Why not farm for prime parts and trade for plat? I don't like farming for relics, I like opening them even less.. and trading isn't exactly fun either.

13 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

. Grinding the keys in the derelict sucked even with “key share”.  Because you had to grind the keys, to grind the segment to fight mut salad V. At that point I vowed never again. Ever since if I wanted  a frame I just skip the grind altogether and grinded plat instead to buy the frame outright.

That's me and Octavia (20 minute survival). Although I grinded some frames from that time.

14 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

1. Would you rather play the grind for the frame, wait 12 hours to build each part then wait 3 days?  

Depends on grind, rng, mechanic and frame itself.

So far every frame picked my attention. Some of them were bad after I used them but I still had "I want this" effect.

As for grind and RNG, if it's not too big then I could do it. Grind/RNG for Octavia was waste of time because I had nothing valuable in return. On other hand farming Xaku were "ok" because I had some Mother tokens and other stuffs needed for upgrading Entrati. Nowadays it's some stupid grind/RNG (e.g. Harrow) that I don't bother to do. Gara, afair, were nice Grind/RNG because it wasn't only doing 1 thing.

If mechanics are bad then I would just buy a new thing. I bought Sevagoth because Solo RJ without any crew is horrible experience. Now that I have some stuffs I COULD farm it... but this frame is boring.

And 3.5 days is nothing. It's not like you either cannot farm/grind/do another things in this game or just do something else (play different game).

1 hour ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

I bought most frames past Octavia because they have horrible way of entry. You need to do stuffs like:

- grind some syndicate(s)

- huge rng

- hard mission (at that time)

After some experience in game lots of stuffs are better. I farmed (after bought) frames like Xaku or Garuda.

Buying items removes gameplay which is already scarce in the current development cycle. I try to farm as much as I can. Unfortunately these Supporter Packs with exclusive skins that undermine an update collection in the market is making this more difficult.

Very heavily depends on the frame. Under most circumstances, I'll put up with the suffering of farming the parts, and if I get too impatient then I can always rush the final build of the frame. (50 plats + 12 hours is drastically cheaper than the usual 300+ for the full frame. Even if I fully rush all it's parts, 25+25+25 = 75 + 50 for final rush = 125 plats, versus the 300+ of most frames)

Some frames have awful rates and come from nodes that people don't usually stay long enough for (Octavia Neuroptics, Terrorem rot C), come from bullS#&$ mission types (Gauss, Disruption rot B and C), are tied to literally the buggiest game mode in the game (Harrow, #*!% grinding for him), are locked behind a boss with the world's S#&$tiest mechanics (Wisp, Ropalolyst), or have the world's stupidest nodes (Grendel, but apparently Lavos makes it much easier)

For the most part, I'd rather just grind them out, even if other players usually make it take 5000x longer (Xaku's bounties, because every single random person - ESPECIALLY wild Revenants - can't #*!%in listen or read and make the "kill enemies INSIDE a certain radius" portion literally take several minutes and make Otak & Loid literally chide us so frequently that their dialogue starts overlapping slightly) because unless if I know for a fact I'll like the frame (or if the method for getting the frame is outright broken or difficult and I just happen to have the spare plats for whatever reason) then there's a good chance I might regret it when I could have dumped that plat into cosmetics or something instead.

Now in terms of stupid frames I've farmed for vs ones I've bought in some capacity:

Wisp - Farmed. #*!% Ropalolyst.
Xaku - Farmed.
Garuda - thanks, bond/mod/relic farming : ) didn't even have to try for her (tho she's kinda fun, despite her weird mechanics)
Octavia - Still trying but not worth buying since I already suffered spamming Lua for her chassis.
Gauss - Farmed, love this boy
Grendel - Bought since I had spare plats, and I don't regret it cos he is kinda fun (and because I'll be able to use an Articula for him and Guass when I have the spare plat for one)
Revenant - Farmed, painless beyond the quest itself being stupid as hell. Took like 4 bounties to get all 3 parts.
Harrow - I literally spent a #*!%in week trying to get his part from that one S#&$ty mission. Bought him.

Etc etc etc, that's really all I can think for for the more stupid to farm for frames. Except maybe Limbo, but now-a-days he's a lot easier since it's WAY easier to have an excess of nav coords thanks to RJ. Still working on my subsume & mastery catalogue for frames, so I'm sure there'll be more frames with stupid as hell requirements. Dreading having to farm for Oberon in RJ tho, christ what a mistake...

Slight edit just for honorable mention for Khora: don't have her fully yet, but nightwave will probably get me all her parts eventually anyways since it seems like every nightwave has at least one "8 rounds regular onslaught" and one "8 rounds elite onslaught" mission. Makes farming for Khora a lot more passive, though I'm sure that'll change when I actually target her for mastery/subsume.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

My breaking point was way back in the day when I grinded for Mesa. Hated it. Grinding the keys in the derelict sucked even with “key share”.  Because you had to grind the keys, to grind the segment to fight mut salad V. At that point I vowed never again. Ever since if I wanted  a frame I just skip the grind altogether and grinded plat instead to buy the frame outright. Also typically wait for a coupon. It’s been easygoing ever since. And tons faster. 

Or

why?  

I tend to do both depending on the frames. I wouldn't farm for Harrow or Nidus, I don't like the game modes, so I bought them. For something like Protea or regrettably Yareli, the grinds were relatively easy, just time consuming if Rng wasn't on your side. Rng mostly goes for protea parts, and Yareli was just a rep grind. I don't even have normal Mesa yet, but when I saw how bad the rng was and you had to grind another resource just to fight alad V, I already decided to just buy it at some point.

usually I farm, mainly because trading means dealing with the worst creatures in the entire game: other people. 

Trading is something I reserve only for the last couple of stubborn prime parts once the radshares for new primes have dried up, which on average is after about 2 weeks or so, and that's If I have zero alternatives. the only place that's more of an unbearable cesspit than Trade Chat is Region Chat.. I never go there.

Protea. I farmed her. Twice. And twice got struck by bad RNG streaks. Do not recommend, just buy her, Parvos Granum won't mind.

Ivara, bought before Ivara Prime was a thing.

Harrow... Actually got lucky with him.

Yareli is kinda easy, but I'm one of the 3 people who didn't hate K-Drives...

Hildryn, bought, because giant bosses aren't my thing...

Didn't really farm most of the other difficult ones yet (Octavia next... The quest itself is... ahem... real challenge... then there are part farms...)

4 hours ago, Voltage said:

Buying items removes gameplay which is already scarce in the current development cycle. I try to farm as much as I can. Unfortunately these Supporter Packs with exclusive skins that undermine an update collection in the market is making this more difficult.

Interesting isn't it?

Buying removes gameplay

but buying is also needed for DE to make money

see the conflict of interest? Removing gameplay has synergy with DE making money.

that's kinda ironic, as most videogame companies should have an incentive to make gameplay....

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

I have farmed every single item in the entire game, many of them twice, never spending a single plat outside of inventory slots

This is not a brag. It took six years

i find that farming everything is easy if im not in a rush for it and only do what i can tolerate. Eventually, over time, i end up with everything. There are very few items i ever need to focus farm. 

I dont even farm relics anymore. Ive completed prime sets just from playing public missions. 

I prefer playing for the frame. Usually I’ll do the frame’s mission once or twice a day of playing (depends on how much time I have).  Once I have a frame, that’s that, so might as well enjoy the trip. The lack of pressure to repeatedly farm over and over has an added benefit of making it so that I can comfortably sit on that fine line between success and failure, and even though I may fail at times, it tends to be an interesting fight, which makes the sting not nearly so bad (Jordas needs some “interesting fight” work though).

Sometimes I also accidentally end up with enough frame parts while doing a mission, like Ivara, so I’m cool with that. Pleasant surprise to look through the foundary and realise I have enough pieces for a new Warframe.

I’m sorely tempted at times to purchase because I want to play with the thing now, and also I want to support Warframe because I enjoy it. But I also want to give the attempt a good go, so most of my platinum goes towards skins and catalysts and Forma and slots

edit: I don’t really mind waiting for the frame, since I’m not constantly playing and so three and a half days kind of just pass by (that said, I did rush my Voidrig 😐. Necramechfaaaaaalll! It’s so chunky. I love it)

edit: Oh wait, this is about traded plat. Sorry, I read “plat”, thinking any source was fine 😅. I don’t do much plat trading

Neither. Trading and waiting days for someone to buy a prime part or dealing with someone who wants to buy it extremely cheap is a pain. Playing the exact same mission hundreds of times, draining my will to live then finding out I need some extremely rare resource that will take a whole day of farming is also a massive pain.

I'd rather wait for a 50%-70% off and buy it really cheap. And it can take half a year for a new frame to come out so you're not even spending much at all, just some pocket change. So yeah.

Depends. Sevagoth and Yareli I was fine just doing the in game stuff for them.

Crap like Protea's acquisition? Hells no, and the fact that I've yet to see a part of her drop from all the voids I've been doing for sister spawns makes me glad I hard skipped this when she came out.

id rather eat my own eyes than trade for anything.

since i actually like warframe...i dont mind the grind. call me crazy, but i think playing the game is fun. trade, on the other hand, is such a toxic environment, i dont want any part of it.

Always farmed every piece of equipment I have. 

Sure you can buy a frame instantly, but what's the taste in that? The game literally revolves around collecting every frame and weapon and doing so fill me with big satisfaction. 

Moreover sometimes you get to do quests to unlock them which can be quite interesting and fun. For example I really appreciated the quest of Octavia and Umbra, and recently the one of Yareli.

I know that farming for plats is much more efficient, and in the end you always someway "farmed for it", but imo is not the same thing, because you buy someone else achievement, you don't make your own or earn it.

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

sometimes you get to do quests to unlock them which can be quite interesting and fun.

Oh Def do the quest cause I enjoy the lore. Asking me to grind rng for the parts is something I will definitely not do. Rather grind SP or Eidolons for Arcanes sell those wait for a discount then buy the frame. 

Archived