Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Black History Month in Warframe

(PSN)Vexx757

I had an idea, Warframe should have a celebration of black history month to celebrate the history and achievements of black people of the past and the present. Warframe could have cosmetics like Warframe armour pieces, ephemeras and operator outfit of better yet hairstyles like cornrows and dreads with hair ornaments coloured red, gold and green and more...

Spoiler

Warframe 20210904190130 by Aaronj-c

Nora Night can be the face of it and we could get her outfit for operators.

Operator Nora suit by Aaronj-c

They could advertise black Youtube/Twitch streamers from different parts of the world, one example of a warframe community content creator Asura_Tenshi from Trinidad.

Asura_Tenshi

https://www.twitch.tv/asura_tenshi/about

They could even do a charity even to support people in Africa.

Here are some examples of charities: 

• Self Help Africa
  • Frontline AIDS
  • InterCare
  • Bread and Water for Africa
  • African Children’s Fund
  • WaterAid
  • Farm Africa
  • International Anti-Poaching Foundation
  • ActionAid

One example of an achievement I know of is the first black advert in the UK which sell hair products for black women and children called Afrocentrix which will make them feel confident walking out with their natural hair.

Some quotes from their website:

"We wanted to make sure that what we made was kind to people and the planet."

"Rachael was especially keen on creating products which were gentle enough for children"

"We’re proud to be the first British brand specifically for afro hair available in a major retailer now we have partnered with Whole Foods Market!" 

"In 2018 we were voted BBFA BEST NATURAL HAIR BRAND 2018, raised funding from Angel investors and saw funds from our WeWork Global Creator Award and Backstage Capital added to the round in early 2019."

"We're currently growing our team and working hard to solve your afro and curly hair problems and make natural simple."

Afrocentrix

https://afrocenchix.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKma8bOr-AIVh63tCh3o2At3EAAYASAAEgJVO_D_BwE

After all Warframe should make every tenno feel safe and include and what a better way than doing this?

Aaa by Aaronj-c

@[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Megan @[DE]Taylor @[DE]Helen @[DE]Dudley

Wrong platform for an important topic like this.
You should be focusing this energy into a real-world initiative if you're actually passionate about it and not sliding it off on to the DEVs to craft it all for you. Such lazy activism.

Eh, I wouldn't mind at all. I don't get why some pushback seems to be from the "concerned escapism fan" approach, but considering how Warframe already does a lot of allusions to real social situations (I mean, Solaris is *right* there), I don't think the gentle reminder that "Hey, discriminatory inequality exists" is such a starting one to break immersion. I mean to a certain extent, Warframe has already done that plenty. 

1 hour ago, elmetnuter said:

People educate themselves if they want to. Video games are not a relevant place to do that. 

Games or in general "fun things" makes learning (all stuffs) much easier.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

When you read Nora's message as "hehe he he". Sorry... it's night already.

5 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I had an idea, Warframe should have a celebration of black history month to celebrate the history and achievements of black people of the past and the present. Warframe could have cosmetics like Warframe armour pieces, ephemeras and operator outfit of better yet hairstyles like cornrows and dreads with hair ornaments coloured red, gold and green and more...

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe 20210904190130 by Aaronj-c

Nora Night can be the face of it and we could get her outfit for operators.

They could advertise black Youtube/Twitch streamers from different parts of the world, one example of a warframe community content creator Asura_Tenshi from Trinidad.

Asura_Tenshi

https://www.twitch.tv/asura_tenshi/about

They could even do a charity even to support people in Africa.

Here are some examples of charities: 

• Self Help Africa
  • Frontline AIDS
  • InterCare
  • Bread and Water for Africa
  • African Children’s Fund
  • WaterAid
  • Farm Africa
  • International Anti-Poaching Foundation
  • ActionAid

One example of an achievement I know of is the first black advert in the UK which sell hair products for black women and children called Afrocentrix which will make them feel confident walking out with their natural hair.

Some quotes from their website:

"We wanted to make sure that what we made was kind to people and the planet."

"Rachael was especially keen on creating products which were gentle enough for children"

"We’re proud to be the first British brand specifically for afro hair available in a major retailer now we have partnered with Whole Foods Market!" 

"In 2018 we were voted BBFA BEST NATURAL HAIR BRAND 2018, raised funding from Angel investors and saw funds from our WeWork Global Creator Award and Backstage Capital added to the round in early 2019."

"We're currently growing our team and working hard to solve your afro and curly hair problems and make natural simple."

Afrocentrix

https://afrocenchix.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKma8bOr-AIVh63tCh3o2At3EAAYASAAEgJVO_D_BwE

After all Warframe should make every tenno feel safe and include and what a better way than doing this?

Aaa by Aaronj-c

@[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Megan @[DE]Taylor @[DE]Helen @[DE]Dudley

I think at most DE would do the same as they're doing for Pride; simple in game items that are either ambiguous or things only players see in their space followed by select streams announced on the forums. They are an international game and walk a fine line in catering to multiple ideologies.

Not sure it should be any more than that, honestly.  As much as I'd like to see more support for these issues, its still a video game & a business that didn't start with these things in mind.  Repurposing this platform for social justice & political issues would invalidate the work DE has done & put them out of business (causing more hardship on people) 

2 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

Ah, yes. Gore, dismemberment, and that corrosive status death effect.
Totally for children.

Oh, wait. This in a M rated (17+, so basically adult) game.

Also, I must agree with the general "please keep the politics out of my escape" vibe. Black characters, sure. Pride-applicable (sorry, cannot remember the acronym) characters, sure. Just no "actual" politics, please.

Have you seen region chat when pride released? This community can't even handle a color palette.

Edit: Many of the reactions to this thread is just sad. Original poster just wanted hairstyles and a mention of charities with a twitch creator collaboration (that DE does ALL the damn time with drops). Almost no different to the pride event that released a color palette and wallpaper. But you guys couldn't even handle some colors and a wallpaper.

18 minutes ago, PatrioticEagle said:

you people realize that when someone picks a game and plays it, they are not interested in politics, or anything else right? People play games to get away from all these "hot topic" stuff and just enjoy themselves.

So video games aren't an artform able to express messages? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from the way you're framing this supposed dynamic. 

23 minutes ago, PatrioticEagle said:

the moment a gaming company abandons the whole point they are supposed to be for, it stops being a game and starts to punish anyone who disagrees with them, by going to extremes as to delete their account unless they "apologize"

Can you show an example of DE doing this? I've never heard of a game company putting accounts on hostage over political disagreements.

24 minutes ago, PatrioticEagle said:

its irritating enough with this pride nonsense, it doesnt need to be involved with things that are not game related.

"Pride nonsense." Gee, I wonder if you have any more opinions on that given topic. 

10 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

Totally for children.

You do realize that quote was literally in reference to a hair product? It was literally stated right before that.

12 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

Also, I must agree with the general "please keep the politics out of my escape" vibe. Black characters, sure. Pride-applicable (sorry, cannot remember the acronym) characters, sure. Just no "actual" politics, please.

Again, Warframe is already a political game, so you're late on that boat. Also, it's kind of weird to point out black and LGBT+ representation as something political in my opinion. 

I REALLY would appreciate it if  DE keeps these things out of the game, no offense. Pride month is most certainly a bad start and I'm not trying to be sex negative here. When politics is in the game, freedom of design will most certainly take a hit. And I really don't want to get "representative warframes" in the near future.

781dc81b96d4f03.png

This is me as an Asian walking down the street with every other single minority group shoving their ideology down my throat. I get it. You could use attention and help. But really I'm already getting all these 24/7 IRL when I'm not playing a game.

29 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

Totally for children.

The part you quoted wasn't about the game.  Last I saw, we don't have a Rachel on the core development team who would have a significant impact on the games course.  They were talking about a brand of hair care and pulled content from that brands website. 

19 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

You do realize that quote was literally in reference to a hair product? It was literally stated right before that.

6 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

The part you quoted wasn't about the game.  Last I saw, we don't have a Rachel on the core development team who would have a significant impact on the games course.  They were talking about a brand of hair care and pulled content from that brands website. 

I'll admit to not fully reading it. I started skimming and missed the Afrocentrix bit.

"Shoving Down" sensitive stuff in a video game to every player that are from different cultures, morals, religions, etc is always a BAD idea. By this event, it seems DE only thinks that only people of the west plays this game. Reality shows us this is not the case. We have players from the east who consider this "Pride" culture as something taboo and looked down upon. I am not surprised bringing that to Warframe sparks a lot of hate. 

I am for this but I think releasing dread and cornrow hairstyles is a little... misguided and wouldn't get the point across very well, it might even backfire.

But any chance for events is fun if they aren't like Dog Days (mumble), I don't know why people wouldn't want more cosmetics etc and events, other than, you know, it being a huge dogwhistle for certain types of thought.

6 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

My point is, always representing the status quo and saying that it's because people should be able to "chill" (just only certain people) and any representation or celebrations shown outside the status quo are just political and should be kept out of a game is an argument in bad faith. It's bigoted af is what I'm trying to say.

You mean the status quo of Warframe where everyone is pretty much included and nobody is asking for special attention? I can see people want to break that one.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

I thought it already happened, isn't it on February in Canada?

Yes it is.

DE has been moving away from real world X warframe events. We used to have hallowe'en themed stuff then that was modified into warframe universe Naberous. We had Christmas stuff now it's Solstice and Tennobaum. For a major in game events like OP is suggesting it doesn't feel like it fits with the direction the game is taking. Now stuff like how they deal with Pride, Movember, Cancers; small stuff you can participate in or not as you choose with donations people can make and links to stuff they can support that I could see showing up for sure next February. Although I gotta say that if they added something for black history month they absolutely need to do something for Truth and Reconciliation day because this is a Canadian company and that's a big Canadian problem.

I don't really care either way ,

But i do not see them doing this beyond a basic color palette stuff.

Also if it does happen , what about the hundreds of other regions with their own political agendas ?

The world is bigger than (u.s.) America after all.

There really are better avenues for stuff like this. Preferably outside of the core game.

P.s. also calling it , this topic will either get locked / deleted.

Archived