Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it just me, or is Lavos an eyesore?

(XBOX)ShoeSeller6368

First off lemme just state how I feel. I'm an xbox player so I just managed to get Lavos tonight for the first time and having read about his abilities as well as seen him in game I think his kit seems like a very interesting idea. I was actually really excited to get him and play around with builds for him but he's just so ugly. Supposedly the creator of Lavos drew his concept art while on his lunch break and qssuming the in game look is relatively consistent with that drawing I don't think going off of an absentminded sketch is the best idea. He looks clunky, lopsided and disproportionate all around. I've seen plenty of threads about Limbo being the ugliest frame but he's got some serious competition now. And of course, to each their own. Some people might love the way he looks. But I personally won't be using the frame for much else other than mastery fodder until we get a decent skin for him. I just hope Wraithe doesn't end up as an aesthetic repeat. That'll be a big flaccidizer. So tell me, what does the community think about Lavos' looks? Am I alone in thinking he's the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a videogame or is there some actual basis in me thinking that? Lemme know. 

It is not just you but it is not everyone.

I find him quite ok. I appreciate that the devs have the guts to come out with some very unorthodox, out-of-the-box designs and their own esthetics.

It's a shame I don't like how he plays. Heh.

personally, I love his grungy look - he's the only frame that really looks grineer without a tennogen skin. you can even make his vials look like they're filled with kuva with black and red energy

Spoiler

fFcIvnj.jpgnDr60Aj.jpg

my only gripe with his looks is how the accent colour affects his glass parts, because choosing gold makes his vials look like pee jars. probably the only time I wish a frame had uncolourable parts

Lavos looks great. His basic hemet was originally designed to be symetrical, but it blocked the camaera, so was made asymetrical to compensate.

I like his more rugged look, as he suits grineer themed armor and syandanas and he colours well.

Hes way better than barukk who is very hard to do cosmettics for.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)ShoeSeller6368 said:

First off lemme just state how I feel. I'm an xbox player so I just managed to get Lavos tonight for the first time and having read about his abilities as well as seen him in game I think his kit seems like a very interesting idea. I was actually really excited to get him and play around with builds for him but he's just so ugly. Supposedly the creator of Lavos drew his concept art while on his lunch break and qssuming the in game look is relatively consistent with that drawing I don't think going off of an absentminded sketch is the best idea. He looks clunky, lopsided and disproportionate all around. I've seen plenty of threads about Limbo being the ugliest frame but he's got some serious competition now. And of course, to each their own. Some people might love the way he looks. But I personally won't be using the frame for much else other than mastery fodder until we get a decent skin for him. I just hope Wraithe doesn't end up as an aesthetic repeat. That'll be a big flaccidizer. So tell me, what does the community think about Lavos' looks? Am I alone in thinking he's the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a videogame or is there some actual basis in me thinking that? Lemme know. 

I think while you worry about “aesthetic repeat” you are actually endorsing this outcome. What you have with lavos is a recall to warframe’s old design school, which I think was always stronger than the newer one which I think looks like a bunch of transformers. Older warframes were based on sea creatures, you can see this if you look at Loki, excel, frost, rhino, nova, limbo and volt, there’s an organic element to them, almost like a carapace. Later warframes look more mechanical, but some do recall back, like wisp. This was one of my issues with Xaku because his broken parts don’t resemble old warframes at all. I was excited about lavos from the start, I like the asymmetry, I like the protective lab gloves. Lavos is a nod to the old grineer sealab design school. Perhaps apart from the boots I like him as a concept and looks to me like a strong contempary design that can hold its own better than most.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)ShoeSeller6368 said:

He follows a more “molded organic 1990s-2000s Gundam Enemy” aesthetic that I VERY much appreciate, and is executed very well whether the style suits you or not.

One of the coolest frames for me in a LONG time as he does not have any of the “Power Ranger with gold/filigree” vibe that has been a little too pervasive these past few years imho.

In short, I REALLLLY like this design and trust me, I can be critical.

The art direction of warfame in itself is broken.

There is a reason actors aren't halway out of a frame or models generally aren't cross-eyed etc.

The brain is hardwired towards symmetry - warframe tried to make assymetrical 'because special' their trademark.

They couldn't really have made a worse decision for their "art".

On top of that, warframes appear to have a plastic texture. Take a second and think about that for a moment. You want to create this badass futuristic ninja armor, what texture should it have? Diamonds? Metal? Elemental?

Plastic. Plastic bro. I don't even know what to say about that. My badass armor is... plastic? A rubber suit?

Would I rather be able to turn myself into a flying fireball or go with plastic spikes.

The tragedy of working with 'fantasy' and landing on plastic spikes everything is astronomical. How sad. The amount of cool things you could have went with are infinite since you have no rules or limitations.

Additionally, textures and color palette don't match. Fine you want different textures but then the player must be allowed to edit the color to match.

Then you got hilarious items where you throw something like black on it but it comes out purple. 

And, the decals, the areas you can color on warframes are again assymetrical 'because warframe' and random spike color splashes.

For instance, rather than being able to color say the hands as a glove, or just the helmet, you know what a normal person would expect,it's going to be some spike decal running up the arm... that also splashes an assymetrical square on the thigh.

I have very few frames that aren't one color because it just looks awful. No I don't want some random strip inside my leg to also get painted.

Yes the more spike splash decals spammed randomly on my armor, the better. And don't forget some more spikes either.

Their thinking was, we need to set ourselves apart... by picking something no one else does. Well, there is a reason nothing looks like that, lol. A very real, very good reason.

What does a sports car look like? Slick, smooth, simplistic: symmetrical. Why is a tennis court symmetrical? Why aren't you wear pants with one leg being cut-off shorts? Why is that.

What about a woman putting different make-up on each eye? You cannot circumvent symmetry, you can't.

Take a cape and cut pieces out if it? I mean what. Oh I see, so it doesn't look like a normal cape okay I get it.

See if you can find a single item in the whole game that is - just - a scarf, a holster or a weapon or whatever, you can't.

My biggest problem in the game is I have nothing to spend plat on and that is an issue. In a f2p living off microtransactions that's the last problem you want to have.

personally I think he's not the easiest frame to work with, Lavos is still building for me but I know it's gonna take me a while to get a good fashionframe going. personally I get some Grineer vibes from him: his default colours remind me of Drekar Grineer, and the pipes and inelegant lines of his physique, along with those shoulder-vials, makes me think if he wasn't a warframe, he'd have been a decent template for another Grineer unit like the Nox.

I'll see what he looks like with my first colour setup and full Saturn Six armor, but considering that I still havent really found a good colour scheme for Protea or Xaku, I'm probably gonna be tweaking Lavos' looks a lot in the future.

I actually found myself staring at the liquid bottle physics all over his character as I'd move around the mission. It's surprisingly mesmerizing to stare at them swish around as you parkour or simply walk and stop.

I think for what theme he's meant to serve, a scientific chemist (who at one point was a jail guard), he looks appropriate. Lots of chemicals like chlorine and flourine are deadly and a master of chemistry who handles such dangerous and volatile liquids and gasses is obviously going to be using heavy protection.

The audio design of his powers is extremely good. Very satisfying glass pops on the vial rush.

The visual effects of his powers can be a bit overwhelming in a similar case to oberon where you kinda just litter the map in cloud particles.

18 hours ago, (XBOX)ShoeSeller6368 said:

He looks clunky, lopsided and disproportionate all around. I've seen plenty of threads about Limbo being the ugliest frame but he's got some serious competition now.

Uglies thing since the first Nova Deluxe if you ask me. And that's not easy, considering Ember's Hellchicken Deluxe is a thing.

Personally i'd say the uglies frames (including deluxe skins) are;

- Nova (default and 1st deluxe only)

- Excal Prime

- Frost (default, because of those god damn hockey legs)

- Limbo (the legs again)

- Grendel (who thought this was a good idea)

- Xaku

- Ember's Deluxe (mohawks ain't cool, DE)

- Lavos

- Volt

- Khora (this damn garn-ball for a head)

- Garuda (I hate the arm bands)

- Hydroid

And last but not least,

- Nezha

Archived