Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ask Me [Almost] Anything [Again]

[DE]Glen

Since it's been over a year since the last one I'm going to do another AMA this Sunday on my stream at my usual time (9AM EDT, 1-4 PM UTC).

You can figure out a lot of things yourself with the Simulacrum and the wiki is full of helpful information discovered by curious players. Sometimes when I’m curious about something there's no answer for I figure it out and update the wiki. My goal with this AMA is to investigate questions that are tricky to figure out without the developer tools.

Feel free to post your questions here but there are a few rules; in classic courtroom-drama form:

• The question must be relevant (ie: about Warframe). 
  • The witness cannot testify to what occurred in the mind of another (ie: don’t ask me “why” something was done)
  • The question cannot call for speculation or a conclusion (ie: don’t ask me “when” or “will we”). 
  • The witness can only state facts and only offer certain limited opinions (ie: don’t ask me if I think something is overpowered).
  • No leading the witness (ie: questions assume facts not in evidence will be ignored).

Questions that break the rules will be stricken from the record. 

Also: I don't write the story, I don't have secret access to unreleased lore and if I did it wouldn't be appropriate to share on my stream.

Here is a question to start you off:

• Can you apply a status effects like Toxin or Gas with the killing blow? And if so, is the Mecha set effect triggered before or after the status is applied (ie: If I kill the marked enemy with Toxin can it proc and then spread the DoTs from the killing blow?) 
Edited by [DE]Glen
  • Like 14

Your honor, I would like to ask if they are aware of the ability interaction for Mag's Magnetize? 

It has been observed on many occasions to capture the abilities of other Warframes.  An example would be Excaliburs Exalted Blade and Mirages Prism.

EDIT:

When you have overlapping Magnetize bubbles (not directly, as if the targets were side by side but, like, perky breasts or butt cheeks overlapping) will they share projectiles?  Will they do a figure 8 between them, assuming the projectile has the proper punch through?

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 4

Technical question: how is the mastery available on each starchart node distributed? Ie does it depend on the level of the node and do assassination nodes get eg +10?

Flavor question: we have Sword & Shield, but what other type of melee would you like to see combined with a shield, eg Gunblade & Shield or Hammer & Shield?

1. How is damage reduction calculated for Eidolons?
  2. When an enemy unit has armor and health, how is the elemental/physical resistances calculate? The Wiki has them combined but I often hear people say that the armor resistance values override the health resistance values entirely.
  3. How is the damage reduction calculated for Lephantis? It has something to do with conclave rating, also has some weird interactions with crit, and of course has a soft damage cap, but how it all works together makes my head hurt.
  • Like 4

1. What exactly causes certain enemy attacks (Heavy Gunner's/Bombard's knockdown, Shockwave MOA's stomp, Scorpion's & Ancient's hooks, Terra Trencher's glide/jump shockwave, Amalgam Kucumats's beam etc.) to still be able to play after any major form of CC/incapacitation (hit reactions/staggers/knockback/knockdowns, Impact/Blast/Electricity procs, Bastille, Equinox's/Ivara's sleep, Harrow's Condemn, Magus Lockdown tether etc.) was properly applied?

Example with Magus Lockdown taken from my own video (5:56 - 6:32 portion):

Spoiler

2. Does Komorex's second zoom "+100% Damage" applies to base damage or final damage?

3. Any deep intention to why "world bosses" hitboxes are fully Punch Through immune? Especially some parts (and even some area around them) you would logically assume to be pierceable (i.e. bottom part of Eidolon arms / any of the Orb legs)

Edited by Riccoshot
added 2 & 3 question; spelling
  • Like 4

There is 2 things I have been curious about, one of them I don't think you can answer since it might be more on the developer tools than being able to test. So I'll start with that one:

What causes stats for Eidolons to be bugged? For example, if I solo a Teralyst, capture/kill stats are fine. If I continue and solo the Gantulyst and Hydrolyst, the capture counts as both capture and kill for all 3 of them. Is it because I'm set to either "solo" or "invite only"?

L0CWB2H.png

2nd question, what causes capture missions to turn to exterminate? Is it random RNG that is predetermined when the mission loads or is there other factors taken into account? Through multiple runs, I've had the "change of plans" pop up the second I started capturing the target and other times it wasn't until I started towards extraction.

• Like 6

I don't watch streams often, so I don't know if I'll be able to see my question getting answered but.

Does [Amalgam Furax Organ Shatter]'s blast radius passive work on secondary weapons? The Wiki states that it works on any weapon that can equip [Firestorm], but Firestorm is a primary weapon exclusive mod, with [Fulmination] being the Secondary weapon version of it. I had been planning on using it with my Pox but I'm not sure if it'll even work.

EDIT: Picture of mod in question and note from the Wiki

latest?cb=20190523160221

Wiki: Notes, Blast Radius increase stacks additively with Firestorm and probably works only on the same weapons.

I hope this doesn't count as an opinion but I think it's wasted potential not to work on Secondaries.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 4

Can you 100% confirm or deny that using enemy radar causes enemies in survival to move toward the players at a higher rate than not having said radar mods? Even though it seems accepted as common knowledge I still see disagreement in relation to it.

• Like 1

How does Lephantis' DR actually work? People spout all kinds of things like claiming damage caps per shot and such.

edit: also, while I'm pretty sure I know this one, it'd be great to get an official dev comment on how elemental/physical enhanced sorties actually work, and the hard numbers on those conditions.

Edited by OvisCaedo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, [DE]Glen said:

Since it's been over a year since the last one I'm going to do another AMA this Sunday on my stream at my usual time (9AM EDT, 1-4 PM UTC).

You can figure out a lot of things yourself with the Simulacrum and the wiki is full of helpful information discovered by curious players. Sometimes when I’m curious about something there's no answer for I figure it out and update the wiki. My goal with this AMA is to investigate questions that are tricky to figure out without the developer tools.

Feel free to post your questions here but there are a few rules; in classic courtroom-drama form:

• The question must be relevant (ie: about Warframe). 
  • The witness cannot testify to what occurred in the mind of another (ie: don’t ask me “why” something was done)
  • The question cannot call for speculation or a conclusion (ie: don’t ask me “when” or “will we”). 
  • The witness can only state facts and only offer certain limited opinions (ie: don’t ask me if I think something is overpowered).
  • No leading the witness (ie: questions assume facts not in evidence will be ignored).

Questions that break the rules will be stricken from the record. 

Here is a question to start you off:

• Can you apply a status effects like Toxin or Gas with the killing blow? And if so, is the Mecha set effect triggered before or after the status is applied (ie: If I kill the marked enemy with Toxin can it proc and then spread the DoTs from the killing blow?) 

were you the lead developer for The Jordas Verdict trial?

Hi Glen, do you know anything about how damage to health is calculated when a damage instance deals more than an enemy's shield value? My assumption would be that it:

1. Subtracts target shield from damage dealt
  2. De-weights remainder to raw damage
  3. Re-weights this damage for HP/armor type and applies armor DR etc.

However, there are instances where this method has a small amount of error compared to observed values and no matter how much I try different rounding logic, it's not 100% perfect.

TL;DR do you know and would you be willing to share some of the math behind shield break events?

• Like 3

Uh sorry, but I think my second post here was a proper question, and got removed despite that. Maybe I have to reword the question to be less open-ended and more about how it works? Let's try again:

There's evidence that the IPS damage distribution on weapons has some form of quantisation.

How exactly does this quantisation work?

And maybe, although that might violate rule number 2. If so, just ignore instead of deleting my post again, please: Why is it possible that the total damage can fluctuate through the application of IPS conversion mods?

+/- 6.25% damage is not much, but relevant in the Conclave. People have gathered evidence of this by observing the damage numbers. Here's @Triplinster's Google spreadsheet with said evidence.

• Like 5

Using knowledge from the last AMAA, we know that there's rounding and/or truncating in damage handling. (Incoming damage and armor were mentioned) I'm curious to know what is rounded, what is truncated, and more importantly, WHEN. (eg. Do I round my elemental damage before adding to total, or do I tally all up and then round)

If possible, I would also ask how to recreate the quantization that results in damage numbers being 'off' by up to 1/256th. I know it somehow involves storing a number in a single byte, but beyond that I'm lost.

Are there any relevant values (health, armor, damage, etc.) that are NOT 'float' ?

This line of questioning brought to you by attempt #3411 at finishing my damage simulator...

Edited by Cray
  • Like 1

How does an increase in melee range affect a melee weapon's hitbox?

During the release of Onslaught and the bug with Wukong allowing you to stack 200% melee range over and over, I found many melee weapons were missing enemies I would have normally hit, a good example being his Staff.

• Like 3

1) Does Enemy Radar improve pathing issues? (Prevent things like: Enemies stop in place, get lost, never move from their spawn point.)
LifeofRio says yes, people quote this is a thing, none of my testing bears it out, but I'm not a streamer so no one cares.

Edit: Just saw Chipputer's post on page 1. Some overlap, but different questions, I think.

Relatedly:
2) How do new spawns decide who to target? I know it's not the nearest player, because I often see, in Surv and Excavation, strung out lines of enemies charging 3+ tiles to find the single hallway hero who ran off way godknows where.
(Which doesn't help the 'no spawns / no battery carriers' issue that Excav tends to suffer from.)

And, I'd love if the AI updated more frequently than (as far as I can tell) only 'when it finishes its current action', but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

3) Which modes still have 'teleport catchup' for enemies? I know Ext, Surv, Excav don't.
I initially thought it was disabled globally because of Exterminate, but seeing e.g. Grineer Spy vault drones in the halls rather disabused me of that belief.

---

24 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

During the release of Onslaught and the bug with Wukong allowing you to stack 200% melee range over and over, I found many melee weapons were missing enemies I would have normally hit, a good example being his Staff.

FWIW, just to have asked: are you sure this wasn't a collision issue? (Swing touches some piece of something solid, no longer hits any enemies during that swing.)

Edited by Chroia
Added questions 2 & 3
  • Like 3