Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do you hunt Kuva Liches?

So I’ve been playing this game over a year now and have yet to engage the Lich system outside of the Lich I accidentally created 9ish months ago. He’s just been chilling on Earth stealing my stuff when I go there.

I haven’t engaged it because I just don’t see the point? I don’t care that much about the weapons since most are just re-skins with better stats, and I definitely don’t care about the Ephemeras.

I’ve seen some say the Lich grind is awful, but then I’ve seen other people on here with over 100 Liches cleared, so there must be something fun about it for some of you. 

So I ask my fellow forum Tenno, why do you guys hunt Liches? Is it just for the rewards? There’s gotta be something more to it or people wouldn’t do 100+ of them. What am I missing out on?

Just now, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I don’t care that much about the weapons since most are just re-skins

They're only reskins if you completely ignore the stat changes. There's a reason the Kuva Nukor is one of the most widely used weapons in the game.

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I’ve seen some say the Lich grind is awful, but then I’ve seen other people on here with over 100 Liches cleared, so there must be something fun about it for some of you.

The gameplay in Warframe is nothing but grinding, so hunting Kuva Liches is no different from the norm.

I personally enjoy the fact that you can farm any number of weapons from Liches without any times gates, a.k.a. foundry build times. Having to wait anywhere between 12 hours and 3.5 days to build ''normal'' weapons and Warframes is the biggest downside of this game to me personally. Kuva Liches do not have that downside, and thus it creates an extended gameplay loop of first getting a weapon for the first time and then being able to min-max it through getting several duplicates. That is rewarding and active gameplay and it is what I like.

18 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

So I ask my fellow forum Tenno, why do you guys hunt Liches?

Initially, I thought liches would evolve into something a lot more interesting. It reminded me a bit of Shadow of Mordor/ Shadow of War nemesis stuff. Having a unique adversary that I could befriend and use to help me in mission sounded really fun and wanted to get the perfect lich.

I farmed liches for all the weapons, but I also was searching for a cool looking lich that would benefit me. After going about 70 liches deep I found one that I liked.

Then railjack crew came to Warframe and I'm just disappointed. Not only do they hit like wet noodles in high level content, but syndicate crew are leagues better and are only going to get better with Elite crew.

DE failed on the nemesis mechanic, and now they're working to completely invalidate ever converting them in the first place.

If I were you, I'd at least try to pick up a Kuva Nukor, but don't bother with it anymore if you don't like it. I certainly don't like it anymore...

26 minutes ago, Alpheus said:

They're only reskins if you completely ignore the stat changes. There's a reason the Kuva Nukor is one of the most widely used weapons in the game.

This.

The Kuva variants are absolutely not "reskins" like the TC said. 

They have additional damage, altered stats/functions and independent mastery rank.

To say they are re-skins is wholly disingenuous and/or misinformed.

People hunt Liches because the weapons are universally regarded as upgraded versions of the base weapon. They also hunt liches because they want ephemeras and/or lich crew members. Hunting a lich takes just a few hours if you know what you're doing. The grind from getting all weapons and all weapons to max (60%) elemental damage is a long one but most people just focus on one or two weapons because it doesn't make sense to farm up max stat on weapons you don't intend on using. Having said that, a max stat Ayanga, Bramma, Nukor, Tonkor, or Ogris can be pretty useful. The upcoming Grattler and Hek are going to be great weapons to get max stat on, as well.

38 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I don’t care that much about the weapons since most are just re-skins

Elemental Bonus.

Kuva weapons come with an elemental damage bonus (up to 60%) based on the warframe that created them.

it's basically a free elemental mod that doesn't take up one of the existing slots.

This allows for powerful new build possibilities.

15 minutes ago, Deminisis said:

Then railjack crew came to Warframe and I'm just disappointed. Not only do they hit like wet noodles in high level content, but syndicate crew are leagues better and are only going to get better with Elite crew.

DE failed on the nemesis mechanic, and now they're working to completely invalidate ever converting them in the first place.

If I were you, I'd at least try to pick up a Kuva Nukor, but don't bother with it anymore if you don't like it. I certainly don't like it anymore...

Funny you should say this, because I've had a Kuva Nukor on my on-call combat crewmate and he shreds through Steel Path Grineer and Corpus like they're still level 1.

I still need ephemera and some kuva weapons maxed out but im not currently hunting Liches.  

I do love to run Murmurs or help others with their Lich's.   Murmurs are a really nice difficulty level for me.   Stuff usually doesnt die as fast as in normal star chart so everyone gets to beat on stuff.   On frames/weapons that have Lua Len's murmurs are pretty damn decent focus grinds even without boosters.  

But I like scoreboard chasing also and seeing who kicks the most ass and why/how.  I learn about other frames and weapons and strategies that way.   Its fun.  Funner than any other modes of playing.  I mean steel path does the same thing but thats a difficulty I do not enjoy and only do them for NW, usually solo.  

--------

Besides murmurs I like to do Isolation Vaults/arcanae and railjack(especially storms)

Doing that stuff in public is rough though, I have so many people BAIL right as I join.  I usually watch recruit chat and inv peeps from there to tag-team stuff they wanna do.   4 Peeps is to many because you lose track of who is doing what and if they are trying to help or just leeching.   

Wanted the weapons, made 3 my allies and that's about it.  Not gonna bother with ephemeras or getting all weapons to 60.  Now that I'm MR 30 I'm not gonna bother getting the kraken either (only weapon I didn't get).  I did do more than one kohm to get it to 60 though.

I played my way through the Kuva Liches until I had farmed the weapons and ephemera, after I cleared this little content island I stopped.

I have to be honest that the Kuva Liches were a big disappointment to me as having watched and listened to all the talk of "The Nemesis system" I was expecting something far more than the pale, flavourless, dumbed down version that we got.

But, big promises and little reward seem to be a common theme in Warframe.

Very very good weapons, ephemeras, min max stuff, maestry points, get weapons for specific stuff (like kohm +cold for disruption) kuva lich is fun and is worth to do and this is actually why you allways find people to do the content. 

They offer a nice time waster every now and then.

Unlike Rivens, even if you roll a bad lich, you will still make progress towards the "perfect" Kuva weapon, find one you like and depending on your RNG, your goals are set for a while.

Once you have all weapons you like to 60%, you can work on a different bonus stat for the same weapon and check out how well it's going to do.

If you're really insane, you can even work on maxing all kuva weapons with all bonus stats, but I don't think anybody is actually interested in that.

I grinded them until i got every weapon they had to offer to 60% damage bonus. After that i'm oficically done with this particular content island until they add something else.

For what it was worth - i was weirdly enjoying it. IMHO kuva lich territory is a perfectly reasonable form of end game content: not piss easy, but not headache hard either. Mobs die in perfectly reasonable amount of time, i really enjoy executing thralls even if its just aesthetics and there is a gambling elemement to it, which can feel great when it pays off (i once completed a lich in 20 minutes because i accidentally guessed the entire sequence).

I also now have quiet an army of converted liches who look cool. Good bonus, if they'll ever expand on their crewmate potential.

Now i have a new lich in the background just because i'm lonely and because nightwave forced me to. He's been around for months now. I'm genuinely curious how much stolen stuff he will have by the time i will be forced to take him out.

BTW those guns are not reskins, they are pretty powerful - some more than others. Nukor and Ogris in particular - absolute monsters when it comes to grunt crowd control.

2 hours ago, Alpheus said:

This I understand, but aside from the Kuva Nukor, are any of them really that much better than another powerful weapon of the same type?

For example, is the Kuva Shildeg really that much better than a much easier to obtain Arca Titron? I don’t think so, and this is why I say I don’t see the point. 

1 hour ago, Leqesai said:

This.

The Kuva variants are absolutely not "reskins" like the TC said. 

They have additional damage, altered stats/functions and independent mastery rank.

To say they are re-skins is wholly disingenuous and/or misinformed.

People hunt Liches because the weapons are universally regarded as upgraded versions of the base weapon. They also hunt liches because they want ephemeras and/or lich crew members. Hunting a lich takes just a few hours if you know what you're doing. The grind from getting all weapons and all weapons to max (60%) elemental damage is a long one but most people just focus on one or two weapons because it doesn't make sense to farm up max stat on weapons you don't intend on using. Having said that, a max stat Ayanga, Bramma, Nukor, Tonkor, or Ogris can be pretty useful. The upcoming Grattler and Hek are going to be great weapons to get max stat on, as well.

Yeah, I realize “re-skin” was disingenuous of me to say. I clarified my point a bit more in the post above, but I’ll reiterate here. 

Outside of the Kuva Nukor, which is easily the best secondary in the game, are any of the Kuva Weapons really that much better than other alternatives that are easier to obtain? My Arsenal of weapons already deletes everything pretty easily.

Edit: I really made this whole thread while forgetting about the elemental bonuses on Kuva weapons. I can understand that making it worth obtaining at least a few of them.

I ignored the liches until late 2020, then after the prices came down, I bought the ephemeras I wanted, because I didn't have anything better to do.

I have yet to put 5 forma on and collect MR from a single kuva weapon, though the kuva ayanga did come close during orphix venom, but I switched to fluctus to wall-glitch instead.

So I have yet to even own duplicate versions or finish a single weapon. I even have some kuva weapons sitting in foundry, I guess I will never use.

If it had been kuva versions of my favorite weapons, I might feel differently about it but for me it was definitely exclusively about the ephemeras.

Like it wouldn't feel as terrible to have to put 5 forma, if you were actually going to use the weapon.

I initially (When introduced in 2019) hunted them down because I wanted the Ephemeras.

Now I hunt them when I'm bored, when I remember one of my Kuva weapons is not maxed-out and I'm bored, or I want to change their elements from whatever I initially got from hunting Ephemeras to heat.

4 hours ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

, why do you guys hunt Liches? Is it just for the rewards? There’s gotta be something more to it or people wouldn’t do 100+ of them. What am I missing out on?

I'm a weapon collector, and while the weapons may appear to be reskins on the outside, a few of them have useful functions, sometimes ones that make them REALLY powerful (Kuva Nukor), and there are 4 unique ones: Kuva Chakkhurr, Kuva Bramma (which is still super stronk)Kuva Ayanga and Kuva Shildeg have no vanilla variant, and I highly recommend going for any and all 3 of these weapons if you are offered them, as they are very good: Ayanga was my Go-To Archgun for everything until Mausolon and Morgha came along. I'm also stoked AF to get my hands on Kuva Grattler: Grattler was my favourite archgun prior to Liches being added.

anything else I get, like an Ephemera, is just an added bonus. this will also give me something to do for quite some time, which as an MR30 player who's done everything, is what I need most. murmur grind is supposed to be much better with the update (thank the void) and fighting the liches themselves can be fun. I miss the good old days when you got bodyslammed for picking the wrong cards... yeah, I said it! 

1 hour ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

For example, is the Kuva Shildeg really that much better than a much easier to obtain Arca Titron? I don’t think so, and this is why I say I don’t see the point. 

I would say it is and unless you buy it you can get shildeg much earlier than Arca titron

4 hours ago, Alpheus said:

Funny you should say this, because I've had a Kuva Nukor on my on-call combat crewmate and he shreds through Steel Path Grineer and Corpus like they're still level 1.

Do note that Railjack enemies have 6.67x the normal health of their regular star chart counterparts. Before Railjack revised v1 it used to be 10x more stats. A Level 90 Exo Elite Lancer is much tankier than a level 130 Elite Lancer on Steel Path. So yes, they can’t handle railjack enemies. Unlike syndicate crews who have access to fully modded weapons, they can  delete them no problem.

I just do Lich hunting to access a harder star chart. Lich mission stat chart difficulty is just right in my opinion, not that overtuned bullet sponge fest game mode you called “Steel Path”. And then, Maybe sell those Liches if I happen to find one with an ephemera or a good elemental roll. 

Archived