Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

On 2021-04-02 at 3:15 PM, (XBOX)Volker9549 said:

Most of the excuses people give as to why it doesn't exist are absolute BS. just look at the myriad of other titles which already have cross play/progression implemented. 

Just know that it doesn't exist and they've done basically nothing because it takes time and they don't want to do it. There is no other reason and no shadowy figure holding them back. 

It's not though, you're just mad its not happening as fast as you want it to. It's also not bs if we have to get all the manufacturers to agree, that's been said by DE and mods here on the forums the whole time. You're just ignoring it.

For more information: look in this thread:

Or in one of the few other threads you can find all over the forum:

TL;DR on the situation is that console companies don't allow accounts to transfer off their platform because it means they lose money on any future transactions involving the game. If contracts weren't blocking it, DE has said they would be more than happy to allow console to PC account transfer.

3 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

TL;DR on the situation is that console companies don't allow accounts to transfer off their platform because it means they lose money on any future transactions involving the game. If contracts weren't blocking it, DE has said they would be more than happy to allow console to PC account transfer.

There's also a version difference issue.
Barring the occasions where a major update is deployed on all platforms simultaneously, consoles are usually two to three versions behind PC at the very least.

I been thinking a lot about how I would be playing a lot more if I could grab my Switch and continue playing where I left it on my PC, I know a lot of people keep multiple accounts, but I couldn't.

I also been seeing how in every twitch stream there's a lot of comments asking for cross play/saves and thinking about it I don't think we'll ever seen them implemented.

Cross play is pretty much outruled unless the PC servers stop being the UAT (user acceptance testing) servers, this would mean that PC updates would have to be delayed until Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo certify the updates and also DE would have to hire a more robust testing team. Cross play being consoles only could be feasible.

Cross save would be easier, the greatest technical issue would be to implement a mechanism to hide/disable unreleased things (mods, frames, weapons, etc.) and other types of collisions (like the recently modified mods).

The biggest problem I see is the platinum shop. Keeping platinum separated so plat bought on PC couldn't be used on Switch sounds like an easy solution, but here comes the big question: "why buy platinum on consoles when on PC you can use a 75% discount coupon?".

I would love to be proved wrong on this. Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, Sophiehp said:

I would love to be proved wrong on this. Any ideas?

I see that you are going through the five stages of grief and have already reached acceptance.

We fellow players cannot prove you wrong. You will be proven wrong when DE introduces cross-play (if they ever will, which they say they want to, but have so far failed to materialize), and it lies outside of the power of your fellow players.

I am entirely certain that cross-save is easily doable from a technical point of view (as you said, it'd require to hide/disable items. which honestly is a very simple thing to implement), and the plat purchase problem could be easily removed by imposing the same plat purchasing scheme on all platform (which, of course, probably would require complex legal negotiations with all the platform owners).

But me sitting on my sofa and writing "oh well it should be easy in theory" is no demonstration that you are wrong. Being right or wrong in theory is irrelevant. Either DE does it or doesn't do it, nothing else matters.

Cross-save is doable, and is something they said they want to do, but... They've also said some of them do not view investing into making it a reality is a profitable thing to even do in the first place. Someone/people have to be paid to make it a reality.

On 2021-03-29 at 8:34 PM, vanaukas said:

it's up to each platform (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) since the money they get from the purchases on consoles is money that goes to their pockets and also to the hosting of the game in their servers.

It would be wonderful if the mods did a closed pinned thread with all this information instead just dending this threads to off topic, closing it without any warn or just deleting them.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb MollAgdeduba:

Now i just waith the guys with that post the 100.000 link of other post about exactly the same thing.

hello there o/

For the current situation we only have the Support/Community FAQ:
unknown.png
- https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200182180-Can-I-merge-or-transfer-accounts-

unknown.png
unknown.png?width=1195&height=98
- https://forums.warframe.com/announcement/65-decommunity-faq/

So cross play is off the table.

For everthing else we don't have a definitive answer.
They said a few times here and there, that they are working on a cross-progress concept, but they haven't confirmed or denied if it's ever going to be implemented (or at least any time soon™).

For example:

But that stream was over an year ago.
Currently DEs position on this is more on the site of: we will talk/show things once we are confident of shipping it soon (especially after those delays in some of the major updates like war within, railjack, new war etc.)

Main issues for a slow progress might be (following points are my own thoughts):

- The game/games infrastructure wasn't made for it, because Warframe has existed since at least 2013 (start open beta) and during this time might had other focus points than account-sharing (DE had a rough start with WF, especially since they were unable to find a publisher). But since it's their game engine/infrastructure (and they know their old coding) they are also able to change parts of the game if needed, like they have shown with the advanced light/sound/particle reworks.
Different Warframe versions on different platforms, often with different build numbers, aren't making things easier.

- And there might be buisness problems, too. Since Warframe is a multi-platform game there are other companies involved, too.
Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo need to certify such changes, especially since they are losing a bit of control to what other platforms players are doing.
(In the past for example Sony often refused due to child protection and how they can't enforce it, if it's not their own domain).

- The biggest problem might be the shop and how you pay, since every party involved (DE, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, (Discord?)), has their interest in making money and opening up the market might result in a lower revenue.
Ingame this would also be an issue since consoles need separatly treatments for Tennogen-items (made by 3rd party artists) and are sold for platinum on console while pc players use their steam wallet; the login discount on console is for one ingame purchase and on pc it is for a platinum purchase; and there are also console/pc exclusive items/skins revenue.
So DE might also need to update their contracts and legally validating them might take a while, too.

All this issues need to be solved and approved by all the different parties involved.

For more information: there is a thread were most of this questions are getting moved into:
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1207447-cross-save/

And if you still have questions feel free to take a look into the other forum threads on this topic:

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Sophiehp said:

The biggest problem I see is the platinum shop. Keeping platinum separated so plat bought on PC couldn't be used on Switch sounds like an easy solution, but here comes the big question: "why buy platinum on consoles when on PC you can use a 75% discount coupon?".

And then you have to deal with the politics of it all. No, not the 2020 era politics, thankfully not any of that. I mean the 1994 era politics that lead to Sony existing in the first place, followed by the 2001 era politics that spurred Microsoft entering the market.

It's no secret that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all hate each other... but it's really understated how much Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all LOATHE each other. I'm talking "the CEO of Konami tried to sabotage Hideo Kojima's medical insurance plan" (that actually happened) level of seething, burning, petty vindictive hatred every second of every day. Nintendo are the ancient royal family who are so ingrained in tradition, they believe they ARE video games, and that their vision is the divine plan. Sony only got into the video game market at all because Nintendo humiliated them, so they built the Playstation 1 out of repurposed Nintendo plans specifically to spite Nintendo. Microsoft, subsequently, made the Xbox 1 (not the X-bone, the Xbox 1) to try and take a bite out of Sony's share, and Sony knew it

On 2021-03-30 at 5:40 AM, Soy77 said:

Requesting permission to quote this **** everytime another one of those guys comes along.

Considering this was the OPs first post ever and that they joined the forums on the very day they made this thread (and never visited the forums after), you need to add the new thread to the list every time one gets made. Eventually, it's going to be a LOOOOOOOOONG list. I mean it's long, but much, MUCH longer, so you're looking at something that you need to put some effort into if you want it to have any meaning. Have fun, if you have the dedication for it.

I keep tabs on this game a lot since I stopped playing 3 years ago. I spent over $500 and 1,000 hours and I loved it. I got into PC gaming and don't use my xbox anymore because of the performance. I miss this game so much and would love to see the day when I can play with all my progress on PC. I'm not sure if DE recognizes how many people are in the same boat as me and how much money they're missing out on. I'd like to know what the hold up is. Forums on the internet always say how Sony likes money and that it's not possible due to updates being 2+ weeks apart. But I'm not asking for crossplay, just account link/transfer/migration.

49 minutes ago, ACGspartan117 said:

But I'm not asking for crossplay, just account link/transfer/migration.

Sony has no incentive to let people out of their platform.

The best you can hope for is cross-progression, which Steve wants, but no details on when (or if) it will ever happen.

Pretty much you can play again anytime you want, but account transfers are not going to happen again. At least that is what DE has said so far. Last word from anyone on the team has been then when they have something to say about cross save/play they will say something. Before that Steve indicated that it was on the back burner. I would not hold your breath.

@OP: At this rate, sadly probably never. Because cross-anything is very unlikely to happen in warframe. At least in foreseeable future.

There's no hold up because there are nothing to hold. Cross-whatever is not a thing anymore.

7 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... Someone post that huge cross-play/cross-save list of all the related threads...

Darn I got it bookmarked on my pc, real bummer I'm on mobile right now.

13 hours ago, McCIoud said:

The issue is the console companies, they don't want to implement it because they know that no one will transfer to console versions, only to PC which loses them money.

Except that isn't true anymore. There are even mobile games with some level of cross-progression. Sony even announced before cross-progression for games released on mulltiple platforms last year... however, that's left on a publisher basis. 

It costs DE money to make it a feature, and DE themselves stated in the past it may not provide a return on investment. Considering they said "a" person, suggesting one, was working on it when they mentioned this, it should be a very clear indicator that this is not a priority for DE.

20 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

Except that isn't true anymore. There are even mobile games with some level of cross-progression. Sony even announced before cross-progression for games released on mulltiple platforms last year... however, that's left on a publisher basis. 

I'm pretty sure these other devs did not cut deals with Sony 7 years ago, and Sony did not support them with PS+ offers and other cross-promotion support.  The bottom line is that all platform owners take a cut of any Platinum purchased on their platform.  The last thing they want is for gamers to start gaming the system and start exploiting deals on one side and profiting off the other.  For example, due to how Discount Vouchers work differently from PC to platforms, on average Platinum is cheaper on PCs than consoles.  Before they enable Cross Play, they would first have to resolve this part of the economy or no reasonable person would buy Platinum on consoles anymore.

14 hours ago, ACGspartan117 said:

But I'm not asking for crossplay, just account link/transfer/migration.

Would you accept it if, as part of the transfer, everything you currently own becomes untradeable and you lose all your current Platinum (meaning you should spend it all first)?  IMO, this is the most convincing way to appease platform owners as you would not be able to affect the new platform's economy in any way.  Although, this could still be a method to sell accounts, so there needs to be another safeguard to prevent that...

Archived